AuthorTopic: Game Sprite  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Game Sprite

on: May 30, 2017, 10:01:34 pm
So, as I posted in general discussion, my cousin and I are making a game and I'd like to put any of the work for that game here to be critiqued. I started off small with a sort of grunt level enemy that kind of just came to my head. How'd I do?

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

Re: Game Sprite

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:36 pm
Not bad for a beginner. You made a few rookie mistakes though.

Linework: Your lines need to be reworked to be more clean.

Shape: I'm not sure what you were going for but the arms look way too long and awkward.

Outlines: Your outlines take away from the sprite rather than add to it, especially at the bottom. When outlining, you made the cloth look like a solid object. It's hard to explain but when you have parts sticking out of something it looks like it's supporting itself. You should let it hang. The outline of the head seemed to confine the light into an area. Not sure that can be helped.

---

Here I fixed all the mistakes I saw and added my own personal touch. I like my sprites shaded so I added dithering in case you wanted to keep a small color palette.

Good luck with your game.

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:11:12 am
Yeah, I probably should've explained more about what it is. I was trying to go for like a possessed robe kind of look with flames filling the hole but I kind of failed at that. When you say clean lines, what do you mean by that?

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:06:45 am
I think the pose can be shifted in such a way to make it easier to define form (such as through the cloak/cloth)

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 02:15:04 am
Wow...That's insane. Here's the explanation of lines though. Green is clean lines and curves, red is broken lines and curves. On the broken curves I have blue arrows pointing to the pixel cluster that breaks the pattern.

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:28:18 am
Ah, I see. So basically keep the lines consistent.

Also holy crap Yaomon.