AuthorTopic: Sumo Wrestler Arms and Feet Help  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

Sumo Wrestler Arms and Feet Help

on: May 28, 2017, 06:32:29 pm
I'm having a bit of trouble with the feet and arms. They are quite weirdly shaped. If anybody could give me feedback on how to improve them I'd very much appreciate it.

Also, this is a piece I'm quite proud of. What level would you place me at: beginner, in between, or intermediate? Thanks!

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Re: Sumo Wrestler Arms and Feet Help

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:23:05 pm
Hi, this isn't too bad at all dude.

I think though for a sumo wrestler your guy looks a bit too muscular, whereas sumo's tend to appear more flabby/fat. I think your guy looks more like a big strong guy rather then a sumo, so adding in some details such as the stump of hair (no idea what its called) at the top of his head, perhaps  making the loincloth (or whatever it's called.. oh boy have I offended this martial art yet?, my bad) to make it look more like the ceremonial ones they wear. .. regarding his pose I think the pose could also be more iconic to a sumo were his hands are leaning on his lap, in a similar way to a Maori dance, kinda sorta, not.

Anyway I did not get much time to mess with this, so its quite unfinished with shading in particular ,perhaps you or someone can continue with it. I was mainly trying to demonstrate the pose... I also think a combination of out stretched arm and the tucked in one looks good and you could imagine it being animated like that.

Well done with it, the piece itself in my non-expert or professional opinion is certainly beyond total beginner, I would say above average. If you are asking what your personal level is at, well I guess that would come down to consistency with many works so I cannot comment other then to say you certainly have potential by the looks of this piece.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 12:11:29 am
WELL AAAACTUALLY... sumo wrestlers vary between both! Mass and power both are in high demand for the sport so you get a surprisingly varied gradient between bigstrong and bigfat with sumo wrestlers!

In general though people are going to think of big fat folks, so it's best to err towards that.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:43:05 am
so true MysteryMeat , all types of weight categories, much the same as western boxing I guess. I feel I came over a bit disrespectful of this martial art, I could have at least looked up the  word for the loincloth thing "Mawashi" which too my surprise is technically a loincloth lol. I don't know much about this sport, I just assumed they body train toward brute mass and leg muscle rather then upper-body toning and arm strength.

During this mornings coffee session I spend another few mins with this, just a little more shading, head feature you sometimes see them wear (ceremonially), I also added another line on his shoulders to sink his head down more, however perhaps you could drop his head even more to make it look like he is in that typical sumo stance.
The feet are still a bit messed up. I am also learning pixel art so this was good practice for me too , thankyou.

My intention was to re-introduce your outlining, but I thought it looked better without, mess about with it yourself see what works best.. best of luck with it and future works.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:45:58 am by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »

Offline Invincible

• invinciblestudios
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:11:21 pm
Thanks, your guy looks a lot more heavy. I also like the yellower skin tone. Although I love the head gear I'm not sure how to do the mawashi. I wanted his stomach to be hanging over it to make him look fatter but the pattern on the belt looks pretty cool. The shading could be improved too.