AuthorTopic: Feature 03 - Mermaid  (Read 95059 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: Mermaid!

Reply #80 on: December 30, 2006, 01:37:33 pm
Beautiful, Mirre! 'Love the boarder. Especially the clams.

I still can't get over how lovely this pic of yours is. Your mermaid is so cute. The li'l birdy too!

Truly breath-taking.  :)

I'd say it's done. Perfection achieved.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 01:39:06 pm by Ryona »

Scotteh

Reply #81 on: December 30, 2006, 04:23:17 pm
 :o  This has turned out wonderfully, I love the border, it gives the feel that its really peaceful for some reason to me, maybe because its seashells ;)

Nice work, this has got to be one of the best peices of work I have seen since I joined this place :y:

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #82 on: December 31, 2006, 12:06:51 am
ScubaSteve: Thanks for the input! Myself I really have no idea which one to choose. I'll probably go with the framed one just because I've spent so much time pixelling it. Even if the transparent makes it go over my personal limit of 24 colours.
Haha, I don't always draw big-busted females you know. But I thought it would fit this mermaid here. I have original characters in all kinds of shapes.

I'm really glad you liked the piece. And I'm really grateful for the wonderful c&c I've gotten from everyone here. You've all been an outstanding help! Thank you so so much <3

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #83 on: December 31, 2006, 06:34:05 pm
I think it's perfectly acceptable to go over the "colour limit" imposed here.  Colour restrictions really help unify work, force you to incorporate hues into areas you would normally not, and generally tighten the piece so it doesn't seem awash in colour.  It is also necessary at times when you are restricted by technology or medium.  Frankly, the piece is finished, so if you want to add another set of colours to add another element, I don't see any issue with that... but I guess I would ask, what colours are in that border that you couldn't pull from somewhere else in the picture to keep the same colour limit if it is important to you?
Glub Glub!

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #84 on: January 01, 2007, 01:30:23 pm
I think I'll quote myself: "Even if the transparent makes it go over my personal limit of 24 colours."
That's the extra colour. The shells stand out a bit from the frame creating extra space I needed transparent to get rid of with. But I guess, like you said, that it doesn't really matter since I made that limit up just to train colour conservation.

I'll go and submit this to the PJ gallery now!

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: January 01, 2007, 09:37:06 pm

just a little anatomy nitpicks, i.e. stomach, hips, hand, her left arm, breats... I think you can spot the rest.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:21:08 pm by ptoing »
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #86 on: January 05, 2007, 07:32:07 am
Hmm.. I actually think I like the older version better.  I don't know if any anatomy was glaringly off, but the edit loses some of the curvaciousness the original had.  The edit feels to "modelesque" it lacks the femininity the older version had.  But like I said before, I think any changes to the piece are on a superficial level and would not improve the piece drastically.
Glub Glub!

Offline Derek

• View Profile
    • derekyu.com

Reply #87 on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:02 am
Hmm.. I actually think I like the older version better.  I don't know if any anatomy was glaringly off, but the edit loses some of the curvaciousness the original had.  The edit feels to "modelesque" it lacks the femininity the older version had.

I agree... you made her look too hard.  The highlighting is also too strong, imo. :-[

One thing you did that I liked, Zach, is you brought in the butt and pulled the stomach in some.  And it's not an argument about big/skinny girls (voluptuous girls are more interesting to me, anyway), but rather because in the original her SIDE is just disproportionately wide.  It's not as obvious because her arm is covering the area, but if you take away the arm it looks as if the her side is as wide as her front (at least to me)!  Also notice the way the butt to the back is angled (suggesting that she's leaning forward) whereas the front/stomach is fairly vertical (suggesting that she's sitting straight up).

Also, I think the frame should be a little thicker. :)

Making those changes would make this an A++ piece to me rather than an A+. ;)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #88 on: January 14, 2007, 10:47:39 pm
Whoop. I'm pretty slow. I thought I had replied here already. Sorry!

Zach: Thanks for taking the time to edit, but I actually like my version of it better. Like Scuba Steve said; it loses a bit of her curvaciousness. I'm also curious to why you made her breasts droop underneath?

Derek: Hmm, nah I can't agree with that it makes her side look too wide. You also have to think about the fact that girls are a bit sway-backed (at least me). And well, the arm is covering it in this case, but I think you get the idea. I'll see if I can do something about the border!

Offline qwak

• View Profile
    • QWAK

Reply #89 on: January 19, 2007, 10:22:32 am
WOW, looks absolutley flippin gorgeous Mirre. I was looking at how the apples on the tree changes through the different versions of the image, at some stage I think they were a bit too shiney, made them look like gold apples perhaps. They still look to have some shine on them, but it's not too bad. Overall, it's a very appealing peace of art, and very pleasing to the eye.
www.QWAK.co.uk

SUPER PLAYABLE GBA PLATFORMER (only 300 available)