AuthorTopic: Feature 03 - Mermaid  (Read 95048 times)

Offline Toby

• View Profile
    • SKEZblog

Re: Mermaid!

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 03:08:45 pm
SeloutTM is always choppy.

How do you mean?

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 03:35:51 pm
Selout/inverse anti-aliasing are only required if the sprite and background are separate objects. For a piece like this, I think AA is the way to go.

I am missing the black outlines too. It's all about aesthetics, but I think the piece gained something with the additional highlights and detailing, but lost something when the crisp outlines where blued up.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 03:55:44 pm
I am missing the black outlines too. It's all about aesthetics, but I think the piece gained something with the additional highlights and detailing, but lost something when the crisp outlines where blued up.

I totaly disagree with you there.  We could argue about this for hours and in the end it boils down to personal preference.

Absolutley awesome, the only thing that puts me off is the tail (as with many others). 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 04:09:21 pm
Selout/inverse anti-aliasing are only required if the sprite and background are separate objects. For a piece like this, I think AA is the way to go.

Don't forget, kids, pkmays is the devil! He invented the term - though not the practise - of what we refer to as selout. Hopefully the holy crusade of counter-propaganda that we've had in full effect for the last few years will undo the damage to the pixelly universal subconscious that making your sprites look like cardboard cutouts is a good idea :P

I can just see Tsugumo going in de-lurk mode to team up with pkmays to battle us over how 'hey, capcom does it!'

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 04:17:36 pm
helm, untill recently I always thought that simply coloured-changing (according to light) outlines was also considered sel-out.  In a way, it is, because your "selectively outlining" certain areas of your sprite with different colours (solid line, not choppy).  If that be the case, then sel-out could be both clean *and* choppy.  But since i learn that it's not, I say that coloured outlines deserves a pixel-term.  It deserves it much more than the choppy sel-out does.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 05:00:56 pm
I used to say selselout (selective-selective-outlining) for what you describe, but in the end it's a common rendering practise that isn't specific to pixel art at all as far as I can tell.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 05:05:41 pm
helm, untill recently I always thought that simply coloured-changing (according to light) outlines was also considered sel-out.  In a way, it is, because your "selectively outlining" certain areas of your sprite with different colours (solid line, not choppy).  If that be the case, then sel-out could be both clean *and* choppy.  But since i learn that it's not, I say that coloured outlines deserves a pixel-term.  It deserves it much more than the choppy sel-out does.

anti-outlining!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 05:37:07 pm
Nah, i am with Helm on this one, there needs not be a seperate term for this as it's not pixel specific. It's simply light- and/or weight dependantly shaded outlines.

enough with the derailing tho.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 06:07:08 pm
[derail]

Quote from: Helm
I can just see Tsugumo going in de-lurk mode to team up with pkmays to battle us over how 'hey, capcom does it!'

Heh, I wish this would happen, if only for the purpose of hearing from Tsu again. I don't think either of us felt that selout was the end-all-be all of sprite style. But hey, if an overly dramatic religious debate could bring him out of the wood-works, I'd be game. ; )

My feelings on selout have changed from back when it was the "hot new thing." I currently feel that solid colored outlines of various brightness with minimal internal AA tends to make for more attractive outlines. I'm probably thinking the same thing Indigo is. But really, skill and perception are the biggest factor in determining how good an outline looks regardless of the style. I didn't have very good perception of the technique I was trying to implement on the old blue board, and a lot of my sprites came out harsh and unattractive because I went overboard with selout.

Quote from: Indigo
...I say that coloured outlines deserves a pixel-term.  It deserves it much more than the choppy sel-out does.

Colored Outlining Which Emphasizes Luminous Functionality - Cowelf

Colored Outlining With Predetermined Optical Oppositional Pigmentation - Cowpoop

In case you didn't know, I'm pretty damn awesome at coming up with a catchy phrase for pixel techniques.

[/derail]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:11:03 pm by pkmays »

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 10:38:16 pm
Wow. I am amazed.
But it has no nose. The face also needs some shading.