AuthorTopic: Spriter Editor Time Scale Question  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Spriter Editor Time Scale Question

on: May 25, 2017, 06:13:12 am
Hi folks. Is there a way to get spriter to display frames, rather then milliseconds in the editor / animation timeline window.. or any way to get it to show second intervals  (like just about any other software that uses a time line basically)
I find it very confusing to work with it stuck displaying this scale mode. I am new to animating and I am trying to follow reference sheets showing various walk cycles,  but they all seem to show it in frames, or seconds

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Spriter Editor Time Scale Question

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:41:13 am
I'm afraid the question doesn't make much sense, since frames are the specific pictures that compose an animation while the millisecond count is how fast they go by. IIRC 60-100 is industry standard, but don't quote me on that. It's just what I go by when I do my animations!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:15 am
How do MysteryMeat ... Sure I am not even sure how to ask the question.. um perhaps a few pics to show.  what i said before about "confusion".. well its not so much confusion more of an awkward thing.

And this is in specific context to following walk cycle sheets you see people post so other can use them as reference, they mostly use either frames, or second intervals. The annoyance with spriter is not that it displays milliseconds, its more that it displays that by default, and seems to be no other options to change what mode/scale the increments are.
So in effect when I am looking at a picture of a walk cycle sheet someone posted and I am looking at their "frame 7 pose", instead of my eye easily finding that on the timeline in the editor i have to bring up a calculator to do the conversion so i know what milliseconds i should be on. This minor annoyance also applies to people posting their stuff with relation to seconds or fraction of second, but I guess its easier to workout that way without having to bring up a calculator.

here are a few pics to emphasizes that spriter seems go contrary to what other software are usually setup as "default" .

Typical cheapo video editing software (easy on the eye to quickly identify ranges of time on the time line because it uses fractions of seconds/mins and not "Just" milliseconds.

3ds Max (out of the box) easy and practical "frames" intervals

Flash (out of the box), set up to display frames, again practical for what its used for

Unity (out of the box), easy to identify seconds, and fractions of them on zooming in..etc, again the obvious choice for its use.

and lastly we come to spriter which for some odd reason has chosen to display milliseconds (out of the box) and with no apparent options to change it to frames, or seconds, or anything other then milliseconds.

I mean even the various music (daw) , midi etc I have used don't use milliseconds "out of the box".. sure most of them have options to change to it which is find and milliseconds come in useful when working at certain levels.

The only software I can honestly recall ever using that had milliseconds as a default option where audio editors, i am sure there are others, but those had options to change the increments to another scale or type of measurement anyway.

Anyway, its just a minor thing to be honest, as i said i can do the conversions when following tutorials online, but it would have been nice to have an option, or a zoom function that changes to seconds on at a certain level, i dunno, seems like an odd choice for spriter to go with.  I can live with this at least, its no biggy :)

btw I am dead curious as to your nick there?  lol

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:10:29 pm
Shrug. Typically it's easier to work with milliseconds (once you get used to it) since it allows you to create differently-timed frames for more complex animations. Try getting a copy of aseprite, it may be more useful for learning all that with a simpler interface!

Edit: It's also just a simple thing I came up with a while back to replace my awful old username, pay it no mind
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 06:21:44 am
getting used to it :)