AuthorTopic: [C+C] Character Designs  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Mittwoch

• View Profile

[C+C] Character Designs

on: May 24, 2017, 11:14:27 pm
Hello!
I recently started doing pixel art and decided to try make some of my characters as practice. I've been only drawing them so far and I'm not sure if their designs translate well into pixel art - or are any good at all, so I'd love to hear what other people think.

And since I'm just starting out pointers and help for color/technique/etc. are also very, very welcome of course.  :)

(I hope it's okay I'm posting three images at once)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Character Designs

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:08 pm
These aren't very expressive designs, friend! Very samey proportions, very little detail, and no real indication towards the personalities of the characters!

Post a description of one of them and we can try going from there I think, stuff like hobbies jobs and personality quirks!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Mittwoch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:48 am
Yeah, you're right, I didn't even really think about that... (I was way too busy to get the anatomy right)

So, I think the one in the middle looks the least awkward so I'll just write about her.
Her name is Teresa, she's kind of bitter but has a talent for both programming and making witty jokes. She works in a supermarket, smokes a lot and listens to shitty goth rock. Also she's supposed to be rather tall and lean, so I'll probably have to work on that. I'm used to portraying characters a lot through facial expressions, but on this scale that is much, much harder.

Thank you for the help! :)

Offline Mittwoch

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:05:51 pm
So, I went back and re-did all of them and just wanted to update this post.

I think the poses are better now.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:13:57 pm
Better poses and silhouettes for sure. If you want to try some cheesy retrofuture flair there's always give goth rock girl a walkman on the hip! Seems like it'd be fitting to have some of that in there!

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:05:14 pm
The posing is much better.  Look up the term 'contrapasso'.  It is essentially what you did to improve their posing.  Flat shoulders and hips isn't how people naturally stand.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:28:27 pm
Hehe, the correct term is actually "Contrapposto". "Contrapasso" is something totally different! ;D

Your redone models are much improved! Good work! This is just my opinion but I think your character's are a bit too dark and should vary a bit more in color. All characters designs have the same "style" going on. Same color shirt/jacket/vest, same color pants, same color shoes. I think the colors work, especially for the two on the right, but I'd personally like to see some more color.

You've got what looks to be some pillow shading on the man's baby blue chest. Some on the bubble girl's right side arm.

Offline Mittwoch

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:30:43 pm
Thank you all for the advice, it's really great hearing some opinions. :)
Here are my updated versions:

I changed the shading on his shirt and the color of his pants, and adjusted the color of his jacket and shoes slightly. I tried changing the color of his shirt too, but I couldn't find anything that really worked. In my original design there was a print on his shirt, but I wasn't sure whether that would be "too much"...
I think I'm getting somewhere with the designs of the two girls but his is a bit more difficult.

On her I tried adding the walkman, but I don't know how well that turned out. Other than that I made her pants a bit brighter (I think they look better now) and made her jewelry more visible.

I didn't really change anything on her except for the shading on her arm, but I added the print on her shirt, which I also removed from the original design (but probably shouldn't have).

(In case it helps somehow I'll put a link to the original designs down here, eventhough I already changed some things.)
http://i.imgur.com/lwBJr4n.jpg

Offline Silenia

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:56:46 am
Looks great, but I'd make the bubblegum on the last one slightly more, well, bubblegum pink. (A little more towards red and some increased saturation)

I had to zoom in slightly (2x) to tell that yup, that was bubblegum and not a facial deformation, due to a lack of contrast between bubblegum and skin colours (both being pretty low-saturated light shades in the red-ish color area).

Quick example of what I mean:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:32:24 am by Silenia »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:46:34 am
Good additions. Now I'd say work on the eyes, give blue some better whites than she currently has. As it is she kinda looks like this specific french cartoon character I can't remember the name of that's got like, detailed EVERYTHING but the face is just a dot and a big nose because the blue you chose fades both into the hair AND her skin.