AuthorTopic: Leucrotta Sprite[WIP]  (Read 1698 times)

Offline RealestEstate

• View Profile

Leucrotta Sprite[WIP]

on: May 24, 2017, 01:09:08 am
I've been working on this piece for much longer than I care to admit, and I'm having a really hard time making progress on it.

the bottom two iterations are the most recent ones. the one on the bottom left has a half-assed outline, which I put in just to get a general idea of how it would look with outlining. the one on the right is without an outline and the closest thing to a finished product I have.

I'm struggling a bit with the form, and even more so with creating the look of the fur.
any suggestions on how to improve it, and critiques of it are welcome.
I'm considering just trashing it and starting from scratch, but figured I might as well post it here to get some feedback before I do.

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Re: Leucrotta Sprite[WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:10 pm
Hi there RealestEstate

I assume your creature is fantasy/alien in theme? in that case I think what you have is pretty darn impressive as is, I mean if it were a horse there could be some form improvements sure, but I don't think your idea is to have it like that?... anyway I cant really see much wrong with the form in my humble amateur eye other then to perhaps move the back right leg back a pixel or two, but regarding trying to get a fur look, i think that could be done with just a few pixels in the right place outside of your boundary, then build it up a bit as you go into the chest.. I say chest since I assume by the look of your images that the chest region was the place you wanted to look a bit furry?..   also your pixel density and pallet made it a bit tricky to get it looking ideal, but perhaps you can use what i have done and improve on it or cover the whole body.

One thing I would note are the grey hairs?.. I really think they needed something , and my thoughts on that where to use it as a feature of the design by simply changing its color to a more exotic feel.  I am not sure if you are using a restricted pallet but i used gradients just to make those a bit stronger,  but they could be look just as effective with a solid color. But the grey you used was I think way too flat, and it almost looked like it was an area you "forgot" to color/shade

I gave you those strands of hairs separated so you can easily experiment with tinting on an layer above, without having to repaint anything.

Anyway most certainly do not scrap this, it is so very imaginative and even if you don't use it in an application, be sure to add it to your portfolio I would say!...  its really fine work all in all.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:57:11 pm by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »