AuthorTopic: [WIP] Bard  (Read 2280 times)

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

[WIP] Bard

on: May 23, 2017, 01:41:38 pm
Hello there Pixelation! long time no see =).
Not sure if another introduction is necessary, I think some people from pixeljoint know me :p.
Anyways, I should be almolst finished with this one. Criticism and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks =).

Phil-J
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:13:55 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Bard

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:48 am
Looking good! I see those tree spirits :-*

I think overall there is an issue of fairly uniform lightness and detail. Try to compose not only with shapes but also light and shade. At the moment the whole thing is a bit flat. Due to the composition and the detail my eyes are really just drawn to the points of his feet which is probably not where you want me looking, the composition as a whole is quite good at directing you toward the main figure but once you get there its just a whole bunch of arrows pointing down.

The pixel detail is all looking very solid! Just take a minute to step back and look at the image as a whole and figure out where maybe you can pixel a little more softly or sharply to draw the eye to the important things.

Edit: Colour wise I also think I'd really like to see those reds elsewhere, the elements all feel a little bit disconnected.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:44:21 am by 32 »

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 03:19:04 pm
Looking good! I see those tree spirits :-*

I think overall there is an issue of fairly uniform lightness and detail. Try to compose not only with shapes but also light and shade. At the moment the whole thing is a bit flat. Due to the composition and the detail my eyes are really just drawn to the points of his feet which is probably not where you want me looking, the composition as a whole is quite good at directing you toward the main figure but once you get there its just a whole bunch of arrows pointing down.

The pixel detail is all looking very solid! Just take a minute to step back and look at the image as a whole and figure out where maybe you can pixel a little more softly or sharply to draw the eye to the important things.

Edit: Colour wise I also think I'd really like to see those reds elsewhere, the elements all feel a little bit disconnected.

Hey =)!

The reason for the red is because it's from this character from League of Legends, Bard. I like the red tones I used tho :( ( not sure what you meant ).

So, what I've changed was:

- removed the top below his legs, but still not sure, I don't quite like it, it's kinda square-ish now. I think I'll try to make the
legs more fat.
- added more concept to the meeps ( that's how they're called, the character is inspired by mononoke hime, they really look like the kodamas, which I love :p ) to connect the image a bit.
- changed the mask a little bit, but didn't quite like it.

I'll try to add a firefly effect near the meeps.

The reason why the background is so flat, it's because I like the Terese Nielsen flatty style, so it was on purpose.

Thanks! =)

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:28 am
I mean you should use red in other parts of the image, not just on the character. To create balance. Doesn't need to be much, or everywhere. Just a little bit around the background will help harmonise the palette.

The change to the legs is definitely helping. Some other upwards pointing elements below the feet would also help.

When I say flat I'm not referring to the depth, obviously that is intentional. Rather to the fact that the use of brightness and detail is the same throughout the image.