AuthorTopic: Twin Stick Attack Animations  (Read 1997 times)

Offline rogueDev

• View Profile

Twin Stick Attack Animations

on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:29 am
Hi guys, first of I'm primarily a developer so forgive my ignorance.

I'm developing a prototype for a rogue-like "twin stick shooter" game where the player can control a variety of characters each with different attack styles.

I'm very confused as to how I would create an animation sheet that would allow for smooth attack animations in every direction - 360 degrees rotation.

The player should be able to point the right stick at any angle and the sprite should attack in that direction.

Example - Hyper Light Drifter
I'm sure we are all aware of how nice the animations in HLD are - but we can use that as an example. If anyone could explain to me how the animations are done in that game it would pretty much answer my questions.
  • Rougly what would the sprite sheet look like (how many frames etc.)
  • How many directions would the attack animation have to be drawn in?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Twin Stick Attack Animations

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 06:21:07 pm
I couldn't find much examples from HLD, but assuming that it's just a normal top down game, that means you have to animate an attack in 3 perspectives, from the front, back and the side. If the attack is asymmetric you will have to make a 2 side animations, for example when a sword is in your left hand.

How many frames something has is really not set. That totally depends on how many frames are required and how many the dev actually wants. Since more frames = smoother animation (this doesn't mean more frames is always better).

For your 360 degree rotation you should rotate the sprite of the weapon by code, probably. Maybe look at Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne for how they do that.
You get in the bowl

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Twin Stick Attack Animations

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:52:54 am
For 360 degree you have two choices. Go fully top down or go 3d. (Well three, if complicated 2d rigs are on the table)

Realistically you can achieve 8 or maybe 16 directions in perspective 2d. I believe hyper light drifter uses 4 (though I haven't actually played it so I may be wrong.) Number of frames per animation is really going to depend on your budget and time, the type of weapons and attacks and what you consider smooth. 3 Frames is going to be bare minimum for something you would actually call animation. 5 or 6 would be standard. More than that is going for higher framerate smoothness.

Doing something like this will always require a massive number of drawings and I think if you are not attached to a particular aesthetic and don't have a budget you will be better off going 3d/ pre-rendered in most cases. 3d lets you animate once and process that animation onto as many directions, characters and weapons as you want. The more elements of customisation you want to add the more appealing 3d becomes.

If you are happy with the range of motion in hyper light drifter then what you're seeing is just smart design rather than a massive sprite sheet. The character can move in angles but locks to only 4 directions and attack animations cover a large arc and are animated in such a way that it doesn't seem as restricted as say a 2d zelda game feels.