AuthorTopic: Towards The Pantheon (2D RPG)  (Read 3079 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Towards The Pantheon (2D RPG)

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 10:55:31 am
I think the dense trees need some tweaking, it's too obvious a cut and paste job.
I'll definitely be plinking a vote on greenlight though, been following this for a while!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ConnorORT

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 12:48:58 am
It's time for Towards The Pantheon's 19th devlog! You can find previous ones at http://www.towardsthepantheon.com/index.php/development-history/.

Towards The Pantheon has been Greenlit on Steam! I launched the campaign on February 15th 2017 and thirteen days letter the game was greenlit. Throughout the process, the Yes/No vote ratio was always higher than the average of the top 50 games, and I was very surprised at the amount of votes and positive feedback I received. Thank you all so much for your support! I really appreciate it, and being Greenlit in less than 2 weeks after putting so much time and effort into the game has been very rewarding. As I said on social media after I heard the news, it's time to pay that support back by rolling up the sleeves even more and working as hard as possible to deliver the best game that I can for you!

During the campaign I released a video showing some behind the scenes footage working on Towards The Pantheon's soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUAMqY9jz4

Roughly once a month I will be releasing more behind the scenes videos that detail aspects of Towards The Pantheon such as soundtrack and sound effects development, game design, level design, programming/scripting, and more!

Since the last devlog Leandro has released two new videos showing the creation of our Cyberpunk City tiles and Cyberpunk Enemy sprites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA2Ce17euqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-TQhCmbeo

I took a little bit of time off from Towards The Pantheon after being Greenlit, but spent a good deal of time planning ahead. I now have a color coded Google Calendar full of deadlines for devlog releases, new behind the scenes videos, when to have new parts of the game completed, when to distribute new builds to the team, when to livestream, and more. I find deadlines to be very motivating, and this Google Calendar system seems to be much more efficient than my previous system (that consisted of whiteboards, post-it notes, scraps of paper, notes on napkins, etc...)

The previous deadline to finish Chapter 2 of the game has passed, but the news about Steam closing their Greenlight service threw my original plans out the window. The current deadline is March 15th, and earlier today during the livestream I completed the last level for Chapter 2. Next on the agenda is adding in more NPC sprites and portraits, adding dialog, adding new cards and combos, and testing. I'd also like to spend a day or two adding a couple effects such as screen shaking and a couple of new magic attacks.

During our livestream today Leandro asked how many levels were in Chapter 1 and 2, and the answer was 35 and 49 respectively. I consider levels as unique outdoor and indoor maps that the player can explore, so I do not include areas such as the insides of tents where players save their game. The idea is to have each chapter of the game be longer than the previous, so that there is more opportunity for character development as more characters join the party. So far, so good!

In the new schedule the deadline to have the game playable from start to finish is May 26th. That would allow me to distribute frequent builds of the game to the team for feedback and testing, while I spent the remaining ~7 months of the year polishing up and adding details in the game. I've structured development of the game this way so that I don't get too caught up fiddling with smaller things like shaders that get in the way of bigger picture things like completing levels. I've also focused solely on the PC/Mac/Linux builds of the game as I figure it is more important to actually finish the game and worry about porting later, instead of waste time making sure it runs on all the platforms I'd like to eventually release the game on.

This timeframe will allow me to spend a lot of time perfecting dialog and pacing as well as the balance of the game for quite a while. If like me you're a fan of the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, you probably also love the insane amount of detail and secrets throughout those games. I want Towards The Pantheon to have that level of detail and hidden areas and treasures as well.

Here are a couple of new screenshots that I've posted recently across Towards The Pantheon's social media pages:

That’s it for this devlog! If there are any topics about the game and its development that you’d like me to cover in a future devlog or in the upcoming behind the scenes videos, be sure to let me know! Thank you all again for your help and support that got Towards The Pantheon through Steam Greenlight so quickly!

Follow Towards The Pantheon on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Soundcloud, IndieDB, Twitch, Imgur, Instagram, & http://Pinterest!

Follow lead developer Connor O.R.T. Linning on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube, Twitch, & Bandcamp]!

Offline ConnorORT

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 03:13:57 pm
It's time for Towards The Pantheon's 20th devlog! You can find previous ones at http://www.towardsthepantheon.com/index.php/development-history/.

Let's start off with one of Leandro's new pixel art videos where he shows the creation of some of our abandoned mansion tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w4DHPkEo4U

Leandro is currently working on pixel art for the final areas of the game, which shows how much progress we have been making!

Since the last devlog, I have been building levels for they Cyberpunk section of the game along with some scripting for computer hacking puzzle minigames. I am especially excited to be working on this area as I get to introduce the character Mishima and work on more of her battle mechanics. New screenshots from the Cyberpunk areas will be coming soon when levels are completed.

I've also been playing some games and taking notes of things to keep in mind while developing Towards The Pantheon. For example in Banjo Tooie there are character icons next to each area that you can warp to. This helps players choose where to go even if they have forgotten an area's name. I plan to do the same with Speedster transportation in Towards The Pantheon. Players may forget the name of Freyja's hometown, but if an icon of Freyja is next to the name it implies it is of specific importance to Freyja.

I started working on a to-do list that encompasses everything that needs to be completed from now until after release of the game - remaining levels to complete, special effects and attacks to implement, background music and sound effects that need to be recorded, testing that needs to be done, balancing, merchandise plans, looking into possible ports after the initial PC/Mac/Linux release, etc. The list is already 7 pages long and continues to grow, but I am not daunted since development of the game has been going great so far. If anything, I hope the list grows as long as possible to make sure I don't miss anything important. I also have physical notebooks as well as word documents where I write down any random idea I have about the game, in case it may be useful later.

Livestreams have taken a bit of a backseat for the moment, as I've been pretty exhausted since the Greenlight campaign. They will continue regularly soon, but I want to avoid anything that would contribute to getting burned out. I am especially excited to livestream lots of soundtrack after all the levels of the game are completed and I begin the polishing phase around the start of May. Livestreaming music work for other projects in the past has been a lot of fun.

I've set a due date for the next behind the scenes video of Towards The Pantheon by the end of the month, so that will be out soon. Topics such as project management, game design, level design, character design, are planned for future episodes, but I'm not sure yet what I will cover in the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu0c5Q3ZkIw

Finally, two very talented and dedicated friends of mine currently have their game Tumbling Apart up on Greenlight. Be sure to check it out and vote for them, they'd greatly appreciate it!

That’s it for this devlog! If there are any topics about the game and its development that you’d like me to cover in a future devlog or in the upcoming behind the scenes videos, be sure to let me know!

Follow Towards The Pantheon on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Soundcloud, IndieDB, Twitch, Imgur, Instagram, & http://Pinterest!

Follow lead developer Connor O.R.T. Linning on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube, Twitch, & Bandcamp]!

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 04:16:14 am
While no doubt there's a lot of potential and the game's shaping up very nicely, I find you tend to use a lot of stiff silhouettes, poses, mapping and stuff -- the rendering is quite nice, you do have a nice art style as well but you pose your things stiffly.

I'd recommend trying to do some more interesting and organic silhouettes, the sprite here looks neat but the silhouette looks like a Ditto!

I did a very quick 2 minute touchup to show how you could break shapes down, don't be afraid of using strong angles and stuff, it's gonna make your stuff look even better.

Other places I see the stiffness are in overly round and inorganic trees, the way characters are positioned in the battle scene, menus... Change that one little thing and I feel your art will have a noticeable and quick improvement! ~

Offline ConnorORT

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 03:47:03 am
It has been about 2 months since the last devlog, but I'm back! After working 14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week, I started getting burned out. Combined with some personal issues, I decided that I needed to take a break from working on the game. Now that I'm refreshed and excited again, it's time for an update!

Leandro has almost finished all of the art for the game. Having all the art for the game completed will be a huge milestone for development, and some of the artwork that remains to be finished will make for great pixel art videos which we will be sharing in the future!

I estimate that overall development of Towards The Pantheon is at around 50% completion. Here are a few notes about the current state of development:

- Aside from the mansion section, the game is playable start to finish
 - Over 2000 sprites, tilesets, backgrounds, and other pieces of art are being used inside the engine
 - Over 30 enemies (not including bosses) have been implemented
 - All scripting for major gameplay mechanics are finished (Saving/loading games, battle system, inventory system, dialog systems, overworld mechanics, puzzle mechanics, etc)
 - Over 250 levels have been made for the game (not including mansion levels)

Now what is left is mostly creative work; writing character dialog, writing NPC dialog, adding fancy attack effects, polishing up anything rough around the edges, lots of testing and balancing, recording sound effects and finishing the soundtrack, and preparing for release. This means that devlogs from now on will be somewhat infrequent, since I will have nothing to write about if I spend a month working on character dialog. Myself and Leandro livestreamed 3.5 hours of work today though, and I will continue to livestream work when I can. I am working a summer job at the moment which will result in my livestreams being less frequent during the week, but I will livestream often during the weekend. I plan to livestream a lot of soundtrack work as I've had a lot of fun interacting with people in the chat while working on music in the past.

Now that the game is fully playable, it has really taken shape. The work that lies ahead is the game development work that I find most interesting and enjoyable, so I look forward to digging into it. That being said, I'm also making an effort to avoid getting burned out again, which means development will be a little bit slower but more steady. I'm still aiming for release by the end of the year, but if the game is not up to my standards at that time then I am comfortable with delaying it if need be. Although devlogs will be a bit more infrequent, be sure to follow the project on our various social media pages as I will continue to post updates whenever I have something new to share!

Thank you to everyone who has supported the project, I really appreciate it! I'm blown away that we were Greenlit on Steam in just 13 days, that the amount of people who are following the project continues to grow, and that the game is finally at my favorite phase of development. There's a lot to be excited about and a lot of work to do, and I look forward to hearing what you think when I have new screenshots, soundtrack demos, and devlogs to share!

That’s it for this devlog, if there are any topics about the game and its development that you’d like me to cover in a future devlog or in upcoming behind the scenes videos, be sure to let me know!

Follow lead developer Connor O.R.T. Linning on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Youtube, Twitch, & Bandcamp]!