AuthorTopic: perspective problem with topdown tileset  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Mysli

• View Profile

perspective problem with topdown tileset

on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:13 am

so I made this floating island -tileset, and I think it does look a bit strange and I can't figure out why..
I think it has something to do with the perspective..
if you have any idea or just want to give feedback please do so :)
Just a kid who wants to make games for living <3

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: perspective problem with topdown tileset

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:18 am
I can't see any big issues with the projection, I rather would say the colors destroy the feeling of solid volume.

I recolored every major part (except the shopkeeper)
I mixed the cliff dirt color relation a bit.
your grass uses 16 colors. I brought it down to 5 in my edit.
You have a bunch of really close duplicated colors in the house roof, wood beams and wall. Maybe you used a pen with 99% pressure instead of 100%.

Generally this edit should show you the difference of volume, just with fixing up some colors:

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline 7Soul

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:30:12 pm
Make the rocks darker as it goes down. So the top tile is the brightest, the second is darker, the third is even darker and so on

Offline Samaramon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:19:08 pm
For me personally it's how huge the height of the ground is. It's so long that on first glance it just looks like ground that's part of the terrain rather than a cutout soil. I did a quick (and terrible) edit in Paint to show you what I mean:

I think the height of it should be the same, or max double from your actual tile size. :)

Also I like your original colors!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:20:41 pm by Samaramon »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:59 am
I think another big problem with it is the shape of EVERYTHING right now.
Instead of a big flat wafer, try re-working it so it's kind of like an upside-down mountain.

A visual representation of what I mean:
____
\_     /
     \/

Giving it a proper shape like that can do wonders for the visual aesthetic of it all.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:33 pm
It looks as if the guy is standing below ground. Either that or he's really short. You should probably add another tile to the height of the building.

Are those roots at the bottom? Some parts are disconnected and that doesn't look good. I'd experiment with another color as well.

Otherwise I really agree with the post above mine.

Offline Mysli

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:49:02 pm
wow, i didn't expect this much support, Thank you!
okay, so I changed the grass tile completely (idk why it originally had 16 colors :D.. I might have saved the
original tile in jpeg..).
I also erased one block from the bottom and made it more roundish (still kinda blocky tho) and added some shading.
I deleted that shopkeeper idea for now because I got no ideas...
I'm also planning to make a game out of this and I would like to have some kind of gravity build in it
but I don't know how to achieve that.
All kind of feedback is appreciated!

Just a kid who wants to make games for living <3

Offline Samaramon

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 10:07:09 pm
Perspective looks much better :)
I still prefer the grass to lean more towards green than yellow but that's just me.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 03:39:43 am

That's a pretty big improvement! This isn't really perspective, but there's a lot more you can wrangle out of your pixel real-estate. Your color ramps are much better than before, but they're still pretty linear, and you could really sneak a lot of reds and greens into your dirt ramp and some blues and oranges into your grass!

Another thing to consider might be ambient occlusion shadows. Your tiles currently have constant brightness, but it'd really enhance the illusion of depth if you made a transition tile where the edge of the grass turns from horizontal to vertical and occludes part of the cliff.

One thing you're doing with your cliff edges, noticeably, is that you're painting them as if they're reliefs on the surface, with only their top edges highlighted. This makes the rocks look really flat, like cardboard shapes glued onto a brown wall rather than stone with solid volume. Work on rendering your stones to convey more visual information in the same space!

And don't be afraid to play with color! There's so many cool things you can pull off with color. Colors bring things to life!

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 06:42:05 am
Very nice colors, Drazelic. =)