AuthorTopic: Grumpy Ol Dave Walk Cycle [C&C]  (Read 2816 times)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Grumpy Ol Dave Walk Cycle [C&C]

on: May 06, 2017, 03:10:42 am
Haven't been on here in a while so thought I'd post a walking cycle I just finished.  Started with another sprite's walk cycle so may have seen something similar from me a while back.

Spritesheet:

Animations in 4 directions: (slowed down a bit)

In play screen capture:

(may slow him down a bit more than shown here)

Any comments or feedback appreciated.

Thanks!
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Grumpy Ol Dave Walk Cycle [C&C]

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:27:45 am
Why would you slow him down? His cycle is already slow enough he's gliding
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:08:24 am
Yeah, MysteryMeat is right. The walking animation has to make it look like he actually walks. When the walking speed doesn't line up with the animation speed, it breaks the immersion.
You get in the bowl

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 12:28:15 pm
I meant both movement speed in game and cycle.  Thanks and will pay attention to the gliding, but can you really get a 2-frame walk animation that has no gliding?  And is it left-right that you see the gliding or up-down too?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:08:50 pm
All directions have noticeable gliding.

It's very difficult to get a 2-frame animation without gliding, especially with larger sprites like this. The bigger your sprites are, the more frames you'll need for the motion to look good. There are two factors to avoiding sliding:
1. Having enough frames that the character moves very little per frame. e.g. if a character moves 10px per cycle of animation, they'll move 5px per frame in a 2-frame cycle, but only 2px per frame in a 5-frame cycle.
2. Positioning the feet in each frame according to the character's movement speed so that the feet appear planted. For this reason, it's important to settle on your characters' movement speed(s) before you start animating. There is no one-animation-fits-all solution for anything other than hovering xP

In older games the 2-3 frame walking cycles looked passable because the resolution was sufficiently slow that the character rarely moved more than 1-2px on the screen for each frame of animation, so there was no noticeable sliding. A lot of GB/GBC RPGs had animations like this, the common thread being ~16x16px sprites.
Another method for slightly larger sprites was to have 3-frame a running (not walking, not 2-frame) animation, so that the middle frame had the character completely off the ground, and that frame lasted longer than the ones with a foot on the ground. That way, most of the sliding happened when the character was off the ground, which looked natural. You can see this in some SNES and GBA RPGs. Of course, that doesn't work for walking, since when a character walks, they always have at least one foot on the ground.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:33:12 am
Thanks for explaining that all.  I think I may leave this at 2 frames as it more of a humorous light hearted project but will definitely use those tips on other projects!