AuthorTopic: Skeleton Attack Animation  (Read 2677 times)

Offline WabbaJakke

• View Profile

Skeleton Attack Animation

on: May 09, 2017, 08:22:59 pm
I made this skeleton sprite a while back and I wanted to get around to animating it

Here's what I have so far

I've never done smears (?) before and I feel like that would help this animation a lot but I'm not quite sure how to do it

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Skeleton Attack Animation

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:04:06 pm

Not everything needs smears.  You have a really good, smooth animation, but the stop is a bit abrupt.  Here, I've added a frame with some overextension, where the spear/body goes just a little bit further.  Some smear may help, but this is just a quick thing to help, and I'd recommend looking into it some more.  Overextending weapons/limbs can add a lot of power to something. 

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:36 pm
One way to think of animation smears is a combination of two or more frames as one to speed up a motion. Try reducing the pullback to two or three frames with that in mind! Be wary of how smooth and slow his withdraw is right now too!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 04:30:58 pm
This is mostly nerdy reply about the actual attack you chose. Apply as desired.

There are several things catching my attention with this attack:
-it is using the spear one-handed
-it is starting from an idle/relaxed hold moving instantly into the thrust.
-there is a twisting motion, as well as a thrusting motion.
-he has a shield but he doesnt use it.

Lets examine this a bit further:
-using a spear onehanded has several disadvantages, especially in a thrusting attack. you cannot accurately thrust at a specific point, which is kinda the idea with a spear. your only method of adjusting the final location of the tip is the twist of the wrist. Due to the length of the spear and the resulting leverage it will result in very a inaccurate and also weak attack.

-the initial twisting/turning of the spear in 90degrees just amplifies the problems mentioned above. you will hit even less reliably, and the twisting motion will reduce the thrusting power. your attacking direction is forward but the spear tip's momentum is going downwards, and with the lack of control from using only one hand you'll end up with a really bad thrust.

now considering these points, one possible thrusting motion could be: his shield arm grabs the middle of the spear (right above the right hand's position) grips it tight and thrusts it forward while the right hand slides back controlling the direction of the spear.
This will also make him utilize his shield, so that he's blocking attacks from the front while preparing and executing the attack(i.e. grabbing his spear).
Weak explanation but i hope you get the idea.
The reasoning behind this is
-utilizing the whole length/range of the spear.
-strengthening the thrust by fixating it in the middle of the pole.
-controlling it at the far end for pinpoint attacks or quick motion adjustments
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:39:29 pm by wzl »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:53:56 pm

Had some fun with editing this animation. You did a really good job on all the secondary movement like his arms and legs. I tried fixing the issue that this attack was actually 2 movements in 1, swinging down AND pushing forward, so I tried to split them up. I also tried to use smears as you requested, I think they would work here because the movement of the spear is so complicated, however,  moderation is key. I already. Not sure if the edit is actually useful, since the animation became a lot longer and less useful as an attack in a video game.
You get in the bowl

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:33:42 pm
The recovery is still WAY too slow, it feels pretty awkward to me so I did a quick fix by dropping some frames.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |