AuthorTopic: [WIP] Bird temple tile set  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Forestherd

• View Profile

[WIP] Bird temple tile set

on: May 07, 2017, 11:49:59 am
Hello!
I'm working on a small hookshot platformer game and recently started to revisit the art style of the game and actually try to get a decent looking tile set together. I have gotten a bit of stuff done that I'm quite proud of (the walls themselves most of all), but now I'm starting work on adding background objects to add more character to the area I'm trying to build. Have a look:

The problem is, I'm having trouble figuring out how to draw background objects so that they are both easily readable as background objects as well as nice on the eyes. In the picture to the right there is a crumbling back-wall of bricks. I desaturated the colors and slightly blended it with the background and while that looks decent enough, I'm not sure it would look as good if I did the same thing with the bird statue to the left or the purple banners at the top?

If anybody has some feedback as to how I should separate the background from interactable objects while retaining readability and beauty, that would be really appreciated!

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Bird temple tile set

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:25:18 pm
Why not use the 2 darkest colors to make a simple 2 color background with pillars and  patches of bricks...

And i woud replace the dark colors in the foreground with more greenish colors...

Offline Forestherd

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Bird temple tile set

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:16:31 pm
Why not use the 2 darkest colors to make a simple 2 color background with pillars and  patches of bricks...

And i woud replace the dark colors in the foreground with more greenish colors...
I don't think using two of the darker colors would work, since then the bg would start to really blend with the foreground...
Also I did go through a lot of color iterations for the bricks, but this seemed to give the most depth/look the nicest.