AuthorTopic: Art Character/Tiles correct scale for games  (Read 2223 times)

Offline netox

• View Profile

Art Character/Tiles correct scale for games

on: May 05, 2017, 06:34:07 pm
Hello,
I'm developing a game but I have doubts on the scales the pixel, I'm doing in low resolution for the animations become more simple, I am a developer and I'm drawing pixel recently.

My main question is if I create a boss for example who is 3 times bigger than the main character, do I draw at the same resolution and scale or already drawing at the higher resolution? I need some tips   :(

In this GIF below the tles are drawn in 16x16and the character in 32x32.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Art Character/Tiles correct scale for games

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:17:56 pm
Resolution mixing doesn't tend to look great. I noticed it especially bad on the arrows, they look really not great being so skinny directly next to the chunky pixels of the tree and rock.

Try to redo the level art at the proper scale, everything might work with a slightly less chunky world.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline netox

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:36:14 pm
Resolution mixing doesn't tend to look great. I noticed it especially bad on the arrows, they look really not great being so skinny directly next to the chunky pixels of the tree and rock.

Try to redo the level art at the proper scale, everything might work with a slightly less chunky world.

Thanks for the answer, I'll try to draw everything in 32x32. Would you have any tips on how to keep scale between characters that are bigger than the other? For example, this drawing is from another game I'm creating, it's two space ships, one designed in 32x and the largest in 128px. Thank you very much

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:28 pm
As long as both are rendered at 1:1, the physical dimensions don't matter much! The big problems come when you try to scale down bigger sprites to match lower res ones or vis versa.

So long as the squares on everything at least LOOK the same size you'll probably not have much of a problem.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline netox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 08:34:01 pm
As long as both are rendered at 1:1, the physical dimensions don't matter much! The big problems come when you try to scale down bigger sprites to match lower res ones or vis versa.

So long as the squares on everything at least LOOK the same size you'll probably not have much of a problem.

Niceeee!!  ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the explation