AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Character sprites  (Read 569 times)

Offline Linaru

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Character sprites

on: May 04, 2017, 03:06:33 pm
 I am Trying to start a sprite sheet template which I would use to create a selection of human characters with 8 directional movements for a top down gauntlet style project, however, sprites are a huge weakness of mine in pixel art.

Here is my attempt so far:

I am quite happy with both the male and female head so far, however, iIam struggling with the body the whole character needs to fit within a 64X64 frame with room around for animations. head body and arms are on separate layers.

I would prefer the arms to be more up as if holding a shield sword or staff but I drew them down, to begin with so I can get a better idea of proportions, perhaps the body is a little too small for the head?

================

attempted to refine it but still not happy.

================

Really hoping to get some advice on this and would appreciate any input.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:50:57 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Linaru

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Character sprites

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:40:20 am
attempted a few variations of the body but just couldn't get it to look right, so I decided to work on the head rotations instead.

Linaru Greyfall

Online MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:36:28 am
Rework the diagonal downs, you'll have to redraw them at a proper angle rather than just moving em about. Remember your head is turning at a bit of an angle too, fit it with the perspective! It'll be a bit weird to think about but keep on it!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Linaru

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 12:24:27 pm
Rework the diagonal downs, you'll have to redraw them at a proper angle rather than just moving em about. Remember your head is turning at a bit of an angle too, fit it with the perspective! It'll be a bit weird to think about but keep on it!

Reworked the heads a lot, having had a break (and some sleep), I did notice a lot of messy issues on those diagonals

hopefully these are better
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Linaru

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:49:02 am
I have had several more attempts at shaping the body, however, I am really struggling.
here is the latest

as I stated in my original post character sprites are a weakness, in this instance I find myself struggling to find a balance between the anatomy I was aiming for and the almost top-down perspective.

Linaru Greyfall