AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] Designing a HUD  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

[WIP] [C+C] Designing a HUD

on: May 01, 2017, 12:25:50 pm
it has been a while since I have been to these forums, I always find the advice helpful.

So, I'm working on  a little project inspired by the game Hammerwatch and have been working on a hud that will show health, mana/stamina,  pink charge bar, exp/level progress and active item

here is my roughed out concept that is based on Hammerwatch's hud:

it is designed so that more of these blocks appear side by side depending on how many players are in the game.
However, I am unsure about its design and was hoping to get some opinions or thoughts on improving it?

any advice is appreciated.
Linaru Greyfall

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: [WIP] [C+C] Designing a HUD

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:22 pm
Id try to keep it as minimalistic as possible.  The item on the left is very unreadable, I can't see what it is. I'd also make the hp  bars without any noice.

Maybe add a visual indicator for how high your hp is. if you look at guilty gear, the hp bars are bend at the middle, to show clearly if your hp is >50%.

tried a small edit myself :
You get in the bowl

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:38:01 pm
Id try to keep it as minimalistic as possible.  The item on the left is very unreadable, I can't see what it is. I'd also make the hp  bars without any noice.

Maybe add a visual indicator for how high your hp is. if you look at guilty gear, the hp bars are bend at the middle, to show clearly if your hp is >50%.

tried a small edit myself :

took your advice on board and tried to compact it more as well as adjust the bars, however, i am unsure

Opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

I feel this new version looks messy and may not be easy to see your health at a glance..?

-=====================-
Edit:

I've had a go at redrawing the whole thing from scratch again, and I have changed up the colour palette a bit instead of using the original Hammerwatch one.. i also moved the numbers off of the bars so I could shrink them down a bit:

-====================-

Further refinement:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:02:33 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:52:29 pm
I think you need much more flashy and bright colours.
You get in the bowl

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:30:53 am
I have done some more refinements, pretty set on this design now although it is longer it is also not as tall:

I added gold and lives info to the hud as Hammerwatch originally put them on the map screen as an afterthought.

I also spent some time fleshing out a logo, while not strictly hud it is part of the UI, so will probably be in the same image file:

Opinions still welcome.
Linaru Greyfall