AuthorTopic: [C&C] Firefox logo  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

[C&C] Firefox logo

on: April 25, 2017, 07:33:14 pm
I was a little stuck for inspiration so decided to do the browser I was currently using :P Any feedback at all would be appreciated (I have a feeling my choice of colors are not quite as good as they could be?)

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: [C&C] Firefox logo

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:05:01 pm
I think the firefox logo uses very bright and saturated colours, so you should try to use them as well. In my edit you can see i made the shades very saturated and less dark than yours. I also noticed that your clusters weren't looking very nice, so I tried to improve those, its kind of difficult to explain what makes a good cluster, but basically you wan't them to be as blocky as possible. You also want them if they have diagonal lines, to have those lines be straight so only steps down of 1 or 2.
Edit:
You get in the bowl

Offline CosmosCentric

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:23:12 pm

http://imgur.com/a/LbQOc
The image could use a little more contrast, and I would remove the highlight on the bottom of foxkah.  The light source is coming from the top right, so he wouldn't have a highlight on his back unless he was made of gelatin or another transparent material. Another improvement can be made by using the circle tool to create an even curve at the bottom. If you look closely at the logo, it's almost perfectly round with the exception of foxkah's ear.   

Honestly you picked a really hard thing to pixel. The firefox logo is almost all gradients, and I really don't know where to begin with the tail. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  ???
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:25:30 pm by CosmosCentric »

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:03 pm
I think the firefox logo uses very bright and saturated colours, so you should try to use them as well. In my edit you can see i made the shades very saturated and less dark than yours. I also noticed that your clusters weren't looking very nice, so I tried to improve those, its kind of difficult to explain what makes a good cluster, but basically you wan't them to be as blocky as possible. You also want them if they have diagonal lines, to have those lines be straight so only steps down of 1 or 2.
Edit:

Thank you so much  :) I knew that my color choices were slightly off, but I wasn't quite sure how. The advice on pixel clusters is also something I'm going to try and work on.

Honestly you picked a really hard thing to pixel. The firefox logo is almost all gradients, and I really don't know where to begin with the tail. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  ???

No worries, I appreciate the attempt.

In terms of the difficulty - kind of yes and no. I think you're right in that if I were to try and recreate all the gradients on the official logo I would be in for a hard time. But the thing about pixel art is that it's about overcoming limitations - because the style itself has limits, you approximate and use certain restrictions to your advantage and come up with something cool in it's own right. Well... that's how I've always thought of it.   :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:24:23 pm by Pixel_Snail »

Offline CosmosCentric

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:52:57 pm
I think you're right about that. :) I do think certain things are easier to recreate in the style than others though.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:16:10 am
I tend to prefer less thick blocks of color, and use what I consider "cleaner" looking lines

Particularly the diagonal line separating the body of the fox from the flames, I think it makes it look like two segments stuck together, rather than having it seam a bit more naturally

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:28:47 pm

Particularly the diagonal line separating the body of the fox from the flames, I think it makes it look like two segments stuck together, rather than having it seam a bit more naturally

Seeing your example (which helps a lot) I can definitely agree with the idea of a better seperation on the tail.

Here's an updated version with all the improvements suggested:

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:31 pm
One last edit lol - I really like the idea of the darkest red shade as an outline on the left side of the fox, so to better blend that in I combined it with the shading towards the bottom.