AuthorTopic: Blue Monkey Low pixel walk [C+C]  (Read 2050 times)

Offline TenaciousCorn

• I like black lines and bright colours
    • View Profile

Blue Monkey Low pixel walk [C+C]

on: April 20, 2017, 02:17:55 pm
Howdy!

I continue trying different styles for my Blue Monkey character. Inspired by video process of Burney Cumming from Powerhoof I came up with this little thingy.

Simple yet effective walk cycle, but I'm still not sure about readability and the whole feel. So I'm open to suggestions )

Thanks.   

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Blue Monkey Low pixel walk [C+C]

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:21:22 pm
Too floaty! Reduce how many frames he's in the air!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline TenaciousCorn

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:56:51 am
Got it, Mystery Meat. I'll try to remove excessive frames and see how it looks. Thanks.

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp#iv
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:03:30 pm
Nice character design! Very reminiscent of Fez. :D

He doesn't feel too much like a monkey to me, atm. Something that may possibly help is adding a "skin" section around the face to separate it from his blue fur. You could utilize the same colors you're using for the stomach to do so. Speaking of which, those green shades don't contrast well enough with the blue, and aren't noticeable at a smaller size.

Made a brief edit to show you what I meant. I think the pattern around the face gives him more of a monkey look. :D

You have (what I feel is) a couple of unnecessary colors in your palette, too. While I understand what sort of depth you were going for with the varying shades, there's a couple ways around it. Note that I removed the intermediary blue tone you were using for the tail, and went with the darker shade instead. This allows you to remove the white you were using for the right arm, and use the blue from his body instead. I feel this makes the anatomy a bit more readable, which is always a hard thing to pull off when pixeling such a small piece.

Offline TenaciousCorn

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 03:13:27 pm
Thank you very much Mnots for comprehensive reply. Your points are valid and I know the readability kind of escaped me on this one. But I'll continue to explore this character further and definitely consider your comment. She does look more like monkey this way )