AuthorTopic: [C+C] My unconfident approach to pixel art  (Read 5935 times)

Offline UnsureSoul

• Failure is the only option.
    • UnsureSoul
    • View Profile

[C+C] My unconfident approach to pixel art

on: April 15, 2017, 07:46:45 pm
Hello!

I'm new here, so I will try to make some kind of presentation about me.
First of all, I would like to say that i'm not a native English Speaker, so sorry for any errors.
I'm a 26 years old guy, I've an ordinary job and a big attraction towards pixel art games. It is my dream to be able to create a single game alone by myself. I will unconfidently to anything to accomplish it, but I do not have so many hopes in myself: I'm a bit pessimist.

Anyway. I've made some games in the past, I can say that I "can" be good at programming but since I'm not an artist, I've always bought art assets or had someone who did it for me.

It is totally an hobby for me to accomplish my dream. For this reason, I decided to "try" to become a pixel artist. I'm not an artist at all, just drawn some Dragonball Characters when I was a child.

That's all about me.

So please any suggestions are more than welcome. I don't know anything.
I will try to update this post as soon I've something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1:

Prepare yourself for this character:

I wanted to make something that resembles my personality. It is a futuristic guy, that looks strong: big shoulders, a mantle like batman... but this is only apparent, since his vital spot is clearly visible inside the mantle -> a big red heart. His skin is really light (like silverish or white), he has something to cover his eyes (like Cyclops from X-men), since he is very sensible to light.

What do you think?
How can I improve?

Thank you.

I'm an unsure, unconfident, aspiring game developer.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Offline Ergo__proxy

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] My unconfident approach to pixel art

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:00 am
hi soul, rigth now im on your same situation! I'm a coder and i'm trying to create a game from scratch.
i have only one tip, study a lot from other developer! look from the best game artist and study what they doing how and why!
For your pixel art look for some reference like "hyper light drift"(i see your character look like the drifter) it's a good start.
anatomy, linework, color theory and then animation, step by step. Is not easy bro! But the net is your friend just dig in it!

Hope i help you a bit!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:53:32 pm by Ergo__proxy »

Offline UnsureSoul

• UnsureSoul
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 09:18:45 am
hi soul, rigth now im on your same situation! I'm a coder and i'm trying to create a game from scratch.
i have only one tips, study a lot from other developer! look from the best game artist and study what they doing how and why!
For your pixel art look for some reference like "hyper light drift"(i see your character look like the drifter) it's a good start.
anatomy, linework, color theory and then animation, step by step. Is not easy bro! But the net is your friends just dig in it!

Hope i help you a bit!

Thank you Ergo__proxy!

First of all, I changed a bit the sprite. I've seen the HyperLight Drifter sprites and they looks so simple! It seems there is very little shading on the character.
Here is the image:

There is also a frame of the forward movement. I would like to make at least one arm visible when he is running/walking. First of all: does it looks like he is running? Is the arm ok? How can i improve it?

Offline UnsureSoul

• UnsureSoul
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:39:23 pm
Upgrades:
I changed the character from a top down perspective to a "platformish" one.
These are the two examples: the first one used very little space, in the second I forced myself to use all the space from the 32x32 tile.

What do you think?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:05:43 pm
You've kind of lost the neat polygonal look present in the last version's head. Looked like he was wearing some kind of helmet shaped like a pentagon, which was a neat sci-fi element to the design.
Now he kind of looks like a blacksmith.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline UnsureSoul

• UnsureSoul
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:03:42 am
You've kind of lost the neat polygonal look present in the last version's head. Looked like he was wearing some kind of helmet shaped like a pentagon, which was a neat sci-fi element to the design.
Now he kind of looks like a blacksmith.

Thank you for the feedback MysteryMeat. I honestly like more the little one, however i choosed to increase his size because i thought that it could be difficult to animate, realistically speaking, a littler sprite. In any case, I will try to export the polygonal look of the helm on the big one!

Offline UnsureSoul

• UnsureSoul
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:27:20 pm
I've modified the sprite a bit and did a movement animation with 8 frames using a reference.

What do you think?

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:42:09 pm
Anyway. I've made some games in the past, I can say that I "can" be good at programming but since I'm not an artist, I've always bought art assets or had someone who did it for me.

i have only one tips, study a lot from other developer! look from the best game artist and study what they doing how and why!

I'm also a programmer trying to get good with pixel art - we may soon outnumber the legit artists on this forum  :lol:
Java, C#, Ruby are the main languages I dabble in (and I have some knowledge of C++) which ones do you guys work with?

And here's the best guide I've found for people in our position:

https://www.gamedev.net/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/the-total-beginner%e2%80%99s-guide-to-better-2d-game-art-r2959

Offline UnsureSoul

• UnsureSoul
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 01:55:20 pm

I'm also a programmer trying to get good with pixel art - we may soon outnumber the legit artists on this forum  :lol:
Java, C#, Ruby are the main languages I dabble in (and I have some knowledge of C++) which ones do you guys work with?

https://www.gamedev.net/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/the-total-beginner%e2%80%99s-guide-to-better-2d-game-art-r2959

Hi mate. Thank you for the link, I will read it asap.
About the languages: I know C# and Java. About Game Engines I've used a lot (maybe too much) Unity.

I hope we programmers will reach a good art level :).

Offline Ergo__proxy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 02:01:37 pm
I've modified the sprite a bit and did a movement animation with 8 frames using a reference.

What do you think?
i dont understand if is a run or a walk ahah!

actually mine main languages is c# and java. If unity will continue to upgrade the 2d support ,c# gonna be the best language for 2d developer imho!