AuthorTopic: Sailor Pluto?????  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Journeyman

• View Profile

Sailor Pluto?????

on: April 15, 2017, 10:17:10 am
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight!!

I'm trying to complete a Sailor Pluto, but it just doesn't look "crisp"
What can I do to improve the character?
How can I blend in the shading on the legs? It looks like layers, not natural.
I darkened the backround because it was hard to see the white clothes.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Sailor Pluto?????

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:01:37 am
I think a bigger problem is present in your anatomical knowledge and proportions.

Her shoulders are twice as wide as her hips, her arms are straight lines, her face is sloping off towards the right...

What I'm getting at is there​ is a lot to work on here for you to be able to fix the shading. Shading is about understanding contours and corners to figure out where you would and wouldn't see light hit.

Take, for example, her stomach area.as you've shaded it there it gives the impression her belly's a flat squarish polygon rather than an organic shape.
 Her boobs also have that., Since shading doesn't get accounted for on the right side.

The layered look is, I think, a problem with the colors though. Try playing around there, reduce saturation or shift hues a bit until you're not clashing as much.

After that, google figure drawing and do some of that. Then look into some anatomy and proportion guides. Google will treat you right.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Journeyman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:22:36 am
It was really hard because the sailor scouts have awkwardly shaped bodies. Every time I tried something, something else didn't fit in.   Also, shading doesn't matter on the Anime, they will have "pillow shading" half the time. Which is so confusing. I kinda went for the authentic feel, but it just doesn't seem to work.

Offline Journeyman

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 11:26:53 am
Large heads, skinny bodies, skinny legs.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:28:39 pm
That's just not true. Budget animation is frequently very jank from budget limitations, but sailor moon had a very defined stylistic exaggeration. Long legs, skinny tapered limbs, and somewhat barbiedoll esque waists. Still, they never had things busted enough to register as inherently wrong.

You HAVE to start from a core of solid understanding before you can start exaggerating and distorting, if you don't have that sense of what looks right you dive right into the uncanny valley.

It's what separates the adventure times from the problem solverz at the end of the day.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |