AuthorTopic: My very first pixel art  (Read 2938 times)

Offline getrogue

• View Profile

My very first pixel art

on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:54 am

Hi! This is my first pixel art. its  a 32x32 pixels skull which I drew right after checking a couple of tutorials. I'd appreciate it if you could give me some feedbacks. Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:59:10 am by getrogue »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: My very first pixel art

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:12:51 am
Decent start, but too many floating pixels! They read as noise, unwanted texture!

Try to think in terms of clusters, it's a common term you're gonna see around here to describe grouping up colors for better readability.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline getrogue

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:11 am
Decent start, but too many floating pixels! They read as noise, unwanted texture!

Try to think in terms of clusters, it's a common term you're gonna see around here to describe grouping up colors for better readability.

I tried experimenting with those floating pixels, and I guess it was a bad idea after all.  I will update this later and see how it goes. Thanks MysteryMeat! I'll keep those things in my mind :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:09:12 am

I tried experimenting with those floating pixels, and I guess it was a bad idea after all.  I will update this later and see how it goes. Thanks MysteryMeat! I'll keep those things in my mind :)

No worries, man! There's some techniques for texturing that do require floating pixels like that, but in this case you'd be better served building up your clusters before you get into that haha
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline getrogue

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:35:51 am

No worries, man! There's some techniques for texturing that do require floating pixels like that, but in this case you'd be better served building up your clusters before you get into that haha

Good point Sir! I think it's not a good practice to implement it in a low resolution format :D

Offline Samaramon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:17:10 pm
Looks good to me! If you feel like your skull area is too "empty" you can maybe try joining a few pixels together to make seams? Like skulls have :) Might make for an interesting texture!

Offline getrogue

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:18 am
Looks good to me! If you feel like your skull area is too "empty" you can maybe try joining a few pixels together to make seams? Like skulls have :) Might make for an interesting texture!

Thanks Samaramon! Yeah good idea. I'm checking for some references and maybe I'll redo the whole thing in a wider scale later. Thanks! :)

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 04:53:54 pm

It's better than my first attempt  :)

I think you made the back too small and the part where teeth go too long (Don't forget the mandible is missing, maybe you've accidentally tried to compensate?). I'm not very well versed on anatomy though. I've gone with a rather clean version - possibly too clean for my personal tastes even but whatever.

A few things:
-Unless you need for them to grab attention you don't need to seperate the teeth like that. You can fit considerably more in if you ditch their outlines.
-I'm not sure of where your light source is. You can shade your outlines to help with that.

I'm not sure why but the orbits still look a bit funny, but maybe you can figure that out.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.