AuthorTopic: my old game art  (Read 2063 times)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

my old game art

on: April 13, 2017, 05:38:39 pm
So I returned to programming and decided to finish up the game that I used to work on like 5 months ago. So what I am thinking that this game needs a bit more programming and quite a lot of polish, also few design changes are inevitable.
Criticism, ideas, suggestions and tips are appreciated!

Here is my first level background:

Here is some gameplay:

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: my old game art

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:49:30 am
For a small simple game, I like it.  The animations are quite nice esp the archer.  Everything seems to fit background wise.  My first though was, the foreground trees could be bigger, but that would get in the way of the animations.  Unless you make the trees into sprites and place them randomly and have some layering going on.
Also, it looks like you have different scaling between the background, hud and the sprites.  Making the background and hud the same scaling as the sprites would look better I think.  In some of the games I make,  I scale everything up except for the fonts, only for better readability.
As with any game dev, it's a matter of how far you want to take it.

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:34:38 pm
For a small simple game, I like it.  The animations are quite nice esp the archer.  Everything seems to fit background wise.  My first though was, the foreground trees could be bigger, but that would get in the way of the animations.  Unless you make the trees into sprites and place them randomly and have some layering going on.
Also, it looks like you have different scaling between the background, hud and the sprites.  Making the background and hud the same scaling as the sprites would look better I think.  In some of the games I make,  I scale everything up except for the fonts, only for better readability.
As with any game dev, it's a matter of how far you want to take it.

Yeah, made those animations myself but they are kind of placeholders for now, gonna polish them eventually...
Regarding HUD or UI, since this is more of a phone game, I was looking to make it easy to click and also that dead space on the bottom of the screen had to be filled with smth and just plain forest didn't look that great..
I'd love to have some tree scaling (bigger on the foreground) but since they are so small... I don't really know like one pixel makes a huge difference.. They are all on the separate layers and some of them are even as a game objects (the ones that are in the way of units).. Since unity implemented new layering system I will now be able to make units go behind them and in front of them which adds depth.. :D thanks!

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 04:37:54 pm
I struggle with attack animations for other units though... any ideas? maybe I should rework characters themselves ?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:42:59 pm by SlimEddie »