AuthorTopic: [WIP] Blue Monkey Test, Breathe  (Read 1621 times)

Offline TenaciousCorn

• I like black lines and bright colours
    • View Profile

[WIP] Blue Monkey Test, Breathe

on: April 09, 2017, 10:43:07 am
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, read the rules, but still unaccustomed to the rest of the forum so don't be harsh )
I've been doing PA occasionally for quite some time, but still would like to hear some constructive c+c from fellow artists.

Here's a test of idle breathing I did for a character of mine. I'd like to here critiques on both animation and pixel art execution in general if you will.

Thanks.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Re: [WIP] Blue Monkey Test, Breathe

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 11:22:59 am
The pixel art overall is pretty good. the animation on the other hand is not that good. This little monkey is going to fall unconscious of hyperventilation at any moment!  ;D

You move the shape too much, and too fast. I would advise you tu use sub pixel animation for this kind of subtle animation. You move the shape wayyyy less and instead move pixels inside the shape to create the illusion of motion. I made a crappy edit to demonstrate my point:

Imagine the same thing with twice as much frames, you can give a fluid, subtle breathe idle animation without moving the shape more than one single pixel.

Hope it helps, try it for yourself! Also, post images at 100% the size, don't up-scale them, it only forces people who want to edit them to rescale them. You can just click on any picture posted here to zoom in.

Keep up!

- Skaz

Offline TenaciousCorn

• I like black lines and bright colours
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Blue Monkey Test, Breathe

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 11:30:24 am
Thank you Skaz. That was very helpful. Although the concept of subpixel animation is kind of new to me (I've heard the term but didn't get to explore it more) I'll definitely read more on it and try it out.

On the hyperventilation subject, I did noticed the effect but decided to stick to it anyway ) It seemed funny so I guess I'll just make two versions — winded (as is with some tweeks) and according to your critiques.

And also thanks on 100% tip. I guess I just misread that part in the rules.