AuthorTopic: [C+C] House at the road  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Nakuri

• _Nakuri_
    • View Profile

[C+C] House at the road

on: April 10, 2017, 01:31:01 pm
Hey guys,
I'm currently trying myself at doing some pixelart for a JRPG-project I'm doing with a colleague. I have done some pixelart during various Global Game Jams, but for this project I would like to refine my art and try to find the distinct style I would go by. I have started with a simple house that would stand close to a trading road.

I appreciate any comments and critiscm so that I can improve on any aspect that is yet not well developed.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Re: [C+C] House at the road

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:45:16 pm
First thing I see is the lack of contrast. It's verry flat and grey-ish, you might want to pump up the saturation and darkness of the dark portion of your palette. Make the squint test with your eyes, and you will get the feeling of your picture. Nothing stands out immediately, and you probably want the player to focus on certain elements more than other or parts of the picture to stand out even when the player isn't looking directly at it.

I made a quick n' dirty edit, just paint bucketed the darker colours with themselves in multiply mode, the darker, the more time I clicked (10% at each time).

Other than that, it's a pretty good start!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] House at the road

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:38:19 pm
Not so sure the above method works out too well, it kind of wrecks the whole look by making it too rough looking. Here I've gone and done the same, but with the whole danged house and the overlay method instead of the multiply method. Keeps the palette scaling(? not sure what you call that) intact, while also adding some vibrancy to it so it sticks out more.

It's perhaps a bit too sunset-y with the lighting but some small modifications to the transparency should alleviate that!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |