AuthorTopic: Pixel-Gameart Appreciation Thread  (Read 105191 times)

Offline WhiteFalcon

• View Profile

Re: Pixel-Gameart Appreciation Thread

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:29:59 am
Ok, registerd now just to share the love of game pixel art :-) I have always been fascinated by what people can do with a couple of colors and a little pixel space. Starting my journey in the 8bit era through lots of MS-DOS PC games, I would have tons of examples I love, so I have to limit myself to just a few. Quite difficult really as there are so many old games with amazing pixel graphics..

PS.: I am no artist by any means, more into music production and partly programming, so I have no idea what I am talking about here ;-) Some are my captures, but most of them found on the web.

Simon the Sorcerer (PC)

Can't but love pixel gfx of nature - meadows, trees, stones, the sky.. all is enchanting here.

Legend of Kyrandia: Book One (PC)

Nostalgia plays a large role here, true, one of the most influential games in my childhood. But still, the scenery, the light&shadow, I just purred with delight :-)

Eye of the Beholder 2 (PC)

Again by Westwood, they seemed to handle 320x200 with <256 colors so well!

Okay, enough now, dont want to be accused of spamming.

Offline Storyteller

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 11:18:40 pm
Breath of Fire 4.
While BoF3 was absolutely professional, and a playable cartoon; BoF4 was a work of art. The colors used in the desert areas at the beginning, the sprites, the amount of motion and life each character had, the mix between hand painted and seeming tilemap work on the pseudo 3d maps (desert cliffs), the pixel art textures used in the full 3d areas. Excellence in pixel art that used very simple 3d effects almost seamlessly with the 2d.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 02:23:24 pm
Breath of Fire 4.
While BoF3 was absolutely professional, and a playable cartoon; BoF4 was a work of art. The colors used in the desert areas at the beginning, the sprites, the amount of motion and life each character had, the mix between hand painted and seeming tilemap work on the pseudo 3d maps (desert cliffs), the pixel art textures used in the full 3d areas. Excellence in pixel art that used very simple 3d effects almost seamlessly with the 2d.

Please add some images :-\
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 05:03:30 pm
----Quest for Glory I and II, before the addition of hundreds of colors caused the art to look blurry and indistinct. ----

Quest for Glory I: So You Want to be a Hero

Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire

---Artwork by Eric Chahi----

Future Wars

Out of this World

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 06:46:28 pm
Game: Final Fantasy Tactics
Release Year: 1997
Platform: Playstation

I have a strange relationship with FFT, I've tried playing it many times but never got used to the camera, it always felt awkward (even though I've played a lot of Disgaea and jeanne d'arc).

FFT is a great game but I think what really draws my interest the most is akihiko yoshida's art, that's one of those times that I realize the gargantuous gap of skill.
The characters have a very narrow palette of skin/ground tones and even the colorful details have a touch of sepia to it as well, combine that with a huge forehead and not having a nose (lots of free space). Normally you'd think that those parameters would lead to a very boring piece but not in this case.
I think this is a prime example of knowing exactly what emotions you want and how to convey them on your piece.

Offline 7Soul

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 07:36:06 pm
Posting these because someone had to

Metal Slug 1

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 12:30:37 pm
For some reason the first game that came to my mind as I red this was "Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land". And my memory hasn't tricked me.
There are some areas that look a little emtpy, but others really look good.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:42:15 pm by Runensucher »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:18 pm
Shantae on DSi

Frogatto & Friends

Ziggy

Fury of the Furries
- -

And I loved the art of the original Rayman but it's actually not really using pixel art.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 10:01:02 am
Ziggy
Know it from PJ way back, never realized that this was an actual game. Search led to your blog which led to TIGS thread, but link to game is dead.  :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:20:18 am by surt »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 08:50:10 pm
Know it from PJ way back, never realized that this was an actual game. Search led to your blog which led to TIGS thread, but link to game is dead.  :(
I think it was a 2-worlds demo. Nicely put together, but lacking something that makes you feel the urge to come back to the game, if you ask me. Have you tried to use archive.org on the location where the file should be ?