AuthorTopic: Pirate Grunt  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Pirate Grunt

on: April 09, 2017, 02:03:46 am
I've been churning out stuff of about this quality for awhile now, how can I improve this sprite?

Additionally, I'm trying out facial expressions for the first time. I'm making a fairly comical game, and I'd like my characters to be overly expressive. Any tips on making him look:

Like he's hurling insults at the main character:

Like a pirate ship is falling onto him from above:

This game is intended to be viewed at x2 scale. Any criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Pirate Grunt

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:44:17 am
His torso remains too static, try to get a few different parts for that drawn! IE, hunched over or leaning back or what have you.
Good hurt sprite could be him crouched over clutching his abdomen, for example, and to really sell the shock you could have his knees drawing together in shock.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: Pirate Grunt

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:06:39 pm
Good stuff, I really like the character! I think the first action (hurling insults at PC) looks pretty good. Maybe try giving his straight pointing arms some muscles but maybe not. You should have a more expressive pose for him about to be crushed though. It's way too simple and similar to you idle and hurling insults pose. How would you position your body if something massive was going to fall on you? Would you stand tall and get ready to punch that ship in the face or would you cower back and put your hands up to protect yourself?

I started to think, what would a Looney Tunes character look like?