AuthorTopic: Harassment On Day #2  (Read 322 times)

Offline avidanimefan

• I'm Avid. I make games and enjoy development.
    • KageNinjaGame
    • avidanimefan
    • View Profile

Harassment On Day #2

on: April 07, 2017, 09:50:15 am
Apparently speaking of bad experiences, with other pixel artists in the past is enough to earn you a bad rap as an abusive employer--despite not having any evidence to the contrary.

This all stemmed from this post:
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=22527.0

The initial response from this person (who shall remained unnamed) was that they got the impression that I was an abusive employee, simply because I mentioned what type of people I wasn't interested in working with. They accused me of "talking shit" against pixel artists who were a part of this forum (a full on lie since this is only the second time I've used this forum to post for potential hires--and none of the people I've worked with in the past were found from this forum.)

This person proceeded to send me several presumptuous messages, and upon me correcting said person and letting them know this isn't my first rodeo and that I didn't need the presumptuous advice , he/she  began diligently harassing me because of some perceived "abusive tendencies".  Basically, I said I didn't need the advice, and that I don't partake in what he / she accused me of and all hell broke loose. Now granted, my reply was tart, but of course who likes being accused of something they didn't do?

Is this Normal Behavior here? I make ONE single unpaid job request and suddenly I'm the enemy. The thing is, at the time I made that post I also had 4 other posts with paid budgets on the forum. By the time those jobs have closed out I will have spent approximately 400-500$ on these forums alone--that's not counting the other artists and art supplies that I've been purchasing this week from other places. I'm also not done.

Nobody likes being assumed guilty until proven innocent. Nobody likes being harassed simply for making posts to have work done. If this is a community "thing" here, it really needs to stop.

It's a poor experience and while I won't hold it against the community as a whole, I think some of the people coming here who actually seek to do fair and transparent work need to know that they might face this kind of nonsense in their inboxes for no reason at all.

I've been working as a game developer for the past 5+ years. I work as a programmer sometimes 40-50 hours a week, most of the time on my own projects,the entirety of my life at the moment is paid by freelance work.

No one understands the importance of freelance funding more than I. That being said, I've had a few terrible experiences in my past with artists who misrepresented themselves, their skill, and their level of involvement. Me speaking of that and politely asking potential artists to be honest and upfront with me should not be a cause for any type of harassment or ignorance to be thrown my way.

Common sense would dictate that correct?

There are shitty employers. I've had some in my times. I once had a guy insist I re-create pokemon gaming engine from scratch for 300$. An engine that took teams of programmers to make over months--is what he wanted to get me to create for 300$. Let that sink in.

I am always fair and transparent about what I can do financially upfront. There's never any hidden agendas,I don't switch things up or demand extra works. I don't coax, or manipulate, because it's a complete waste of my time and energy. Plus, I don't need to. I have budgets that I feel are fair--based on my own work flow.

I'm terrible at pixel art, but I do it as well so I realize everything that goes into it. The planning, the references, how difficult it can be to set up animations properly and so on. That's why I'm so transparent. I don't underpay people, I tell them exactly what I need done, offer a budget and then allow them to decide if they want to get involved. It's that simple and 90% of the time I'm open to negotiation on price.

I felt this was necessary given the fact that there's someone in my inbox threatening me. He basically patterned his words as someone who "just wanted to help", all the while making presumptions, ignoring my thoughts on the subject, and assuming he was right.

Not cool.

Online PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Harassment On Day #2

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:15:40 am
Everyone comes with baggage and burns.
Something in your post triggered another member and they let you have it.
This could happen anywhere on the internet.
Grace will get you further than fire.
Just chill and let it go.
It's really not that big of a deal on either end.
Good luck with your project.
Hope you find the artist you're looking for.
:)
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline avidanimefan

• I'm Avid. I make games and enjoy development.
    • KageNinjaGame
    • avidanimefan
    • View Profile

Re: Harassment On Day #2

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:14:22 am
Thanks, much appreciated.