AuthorTopic: Help with a Temple  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Theor

• View Profile

Help with a Temple

on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:34 am
I try to creat a japanese temple to a game that im making, and now i don't really know how to make it look better :( (On the game we going to use the pixel art with 2x zoom)

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Help with a Temple

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 12:57:08 pm
The perspective is wrong. How can we see the temple from the front, but the top segment is seen from above.
Edit:

Here i tried to "fix" the perspective. It still looks a bit flat, but you see what you should fix.
You get in the bowl

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Help with a Temple

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:01:33 pm
In traditional Japanese architecture, the roof is the dominant feature, and the visible walls act almost as filler for the spaces between roof levels. You have way too much wall and not enough roof, especially considering that at this angle, the roof should be overlapping a large portion of the walls due to Japanese roofs having large eaves. Here's a photo of a similarly-sized shrine, notice how there's only one roof level and how big it is relative to the walls. Imagine how little of those walls would be seen from a 3/4 view!

Your roof tiles look more like floorboards and your roofs are flat rather than angled like the real thing. Look up some Japanese temple/shrine images online, there's no shortage of good ref! The Japanese use thatch, shingles, and tiles, and in all cases these are aligned so that they face away from the center of the shrine, so that the water can run down them and off the roof, instead of getting stuck in perpendicular cracks and leaking into the building.

The space between pillars should be the same if you want it to look Japanese. The Japanese even have a name for that space as a measurement - ken. The distance can vary from building to building, but it's consistent within buildings, with few exceptions.

All in all, I think you need to take some time and look at lots of reference photos of Japanese temples. There are a lot of non-Japanese features in this, so even at a glance, it just doesn't feel Japanese. If you have trouble finding those recurring features yourself, then check out Wikipedia's list of the elements of Japanese architecture. You should also consider whether this is a Buddhist or Shinto (or something else) shrine, as those have some differences in their architecture.
If you're not interested in learning this stuff to make your own fictional temples, then find a real Japanese temple you like the look of, and make a version of that in your style.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:04:24 pm by eishiya »