AuthorTopic: opinions on tablets  (Read 3592 times)

Offline jt1241

• View Profile

opinions on tablets

on: April 02, 2017, 07:04:09 pm
for pretty much all of my spriting I've been using just my mouse. I have a tablet that hasn't been working for a while but i'm not sure if using a tablet has any benefits in sprite art ??? .

Offline danmanr98

• DanieruArt
    • http://desudanieru.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

Re: opinions on tablets

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:23:13 pm
Hmm- If you're working on a medium to large scale Sprite art, I feel tablets can be beneficial.
It's all really dependent on multiple factors, like:
-What scale are you working on? 16x16? 32x32? something closer to 128x128 - 256x256(I consider this medium-large range sprite art)
-Are you comfortable drawing with Pencil, and do you feel the transition is a necessity. If you're more proficient with pencil than you are with mouse, getting a tablet is likely going to be beneficial.
 :)

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:32:06 pm
My personal experience.. I have a Wacom cintiq 13hd.. it doesn't get used. I don't have the desk space for it and for pixel art it doesn't really speed up my process. For Photoshop and painting it's fantastic.

I mostly use my mouse, however recently I picked up a small Wacom Intuos Comic with the wireless kit, and I find it great. The touch commands mean I can navigate Aseprite fairly easily, and being small It tucks away nicely, and with wireless I can grab it and go.

With that said though, I still use my mouse probably half the time.. I guess years of using the mouse makes it hard to shake. The Intuos is great on medium and large sized canvases though, I do feel it speed up my process there.

So mouse for things around 64*64 and under, Wacom when it's bigger, because getting curves is great.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:45:52 pm
You are going to get nothing but conflicting points of view asking this question. Some people like it, others feel its the same, others dont. Try it for yourself.  ::)

Offline Risenshiney

• risenshiney
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125172.htm
    • risenshiney
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:51:52 pm
I started off doing pixel art and drawing with a mouse years an years ago before I knew tablets were a thing. I use tablets now but being able to use mice too is pretty handy. I knew someone who even used a laptop track pad for pixel art (and drawing in general) before they got a tablet. Which was nuts but again, potentially very handy, and an admirable skill I think.

It really wouldn't hurt to use a tablet, it certainly won't hinder your abilities, and its good to try new things. Nothing should stop you using your mouse, though. It'd be a great backup if your tablet dies.

This makes me want to practice using me mouse again.  :P

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:53:17 pm
Personally, I'd reccomend having one on hand for new experiments.
There's some neat stuff you can do with pixel art through shrinking pre-made paintings and going over them, and for larger spritework like you see in street fighter or the like I'd argue it is absolutely a must.

If you plan on sticking to smaller artworks a mouse might be a better bet, but I reccomend having it just for the option.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ZeroByte

• ChemiKhazi
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:28:07 pm
This is outsourcing industry gossip, but back in the day Gameloft had a presence here and apparently one of the French managers was really opinionated about tablets and pixel art and stopped the artists working there from using tablets to do pixel art.

The point is, use whatever you feel is comfortable and don't yuck a yum? Wait, I don't know if that's the right lesson.

Anyway, I like using a tablet is a bit better for myself, even if I do prefer to work in small scales. I also think a tablet is more ergonomic to use compared to a mouse which helps when you're starting to feel the RSI from all the years of computer use.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 02:53:19 pm
I have a tablet, a nice big wacom. I never use it for pixel art. I don't see the point, I'm hand placing pixels, I'm not drawing. Keeping in mind I work on very small resolutions.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 03:10:10 pm
A tablet is useful for blocking in scenes and sketching larger sprites, and I use mine frequently for that purpose. For any sort of pixel-level tuning though, a mouse is much more convenient.

I wouldn't get a tablet just for pixel art, even though it has its uses. Get it for digital drawing and painting if that's something you're interested in, and you could then also use it for the early stages of larger pixel work. If the only digital artwork you do is pixel art, then invest in a non-jittery mouse instead.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 11:08:56 pm
I think a small tablet is pretty good for some pixeling. I have a small Wacom Sapphire and the drawing space is 4x5 inches. It's really good for painting, landscapes scenes, blocking in stuff sometimes, early wip animation work and other pixel related stuff. I also have a larger Wacom Intuos but that's not as useful for pixel art.