AuthorTopic: [PAID] Seeking artist for 2D Platformer  (Read 9614 times)

Offline FGandhi

• View Profile

[PAID] Seeking artist for 2D Platformer

on: April 02, 2017, 06:58:56 am
Short Version:  Pixel artist required for paid work, hobbyist platformer project with loose deadlines.  See bullets 4 and 5 for assets and artist requirements.  PM me or link your portfolio if interested. 

I’ll be blunt about myself here:  I am a scientist during the day and an amateur game developer at night.  I have no grandiose delusions that I’m going to change the world or become an internet sensation with any game I make.  I just want to make a platformer that is fun and has some nice art, and I would like to pay proper, industry-competitive rates to an artist in order to achieve my goal.  :)  I am working with the assumption of no revenue (I’m an amateur but not an idiot), so I’d aim for actual cash payment to you either by hour or piece/portion rates (let’s discuss!) to ensure that you get fair compensation.

1.    Individual representing and offering employment:  Me.  I’m not putting my real name here in a post, but I’ll of course provide it for the contract!  I’m not a company and do not represent one.

2.   Project Title:  Currently untitled 2D platformer game.

3.   Description of Project:  2D side-scrolling platform game generated using Game Maker Studio 1.4 with intent for distribution to PC platform only.  Whether the game is released as a free hobby project or a paid purchase on Steam or Itch.IO / etc is TBD.  Project is a mostly linear storyline with a few plot branches and minor “Metroidvania” exploration options.  There are three endings, each of which adheres relatively closely to the general plot.  I’m trying to avoid scope creep. 

The game uses tilesheet multiples of 32x32 at a playable-area resolution of 640x480.  I have no palette restrictions.  I’d ideally like to keep things in multiples of 16 for sizing, with ‘base’ tiles at either 32x32 or 64x64 for large ones.  Deco and details can vary as long as I can keep them reasonably close to 16px multiples (16x16, 16x32, 48x64, etc).  Background components per area may be anywhere from 128x128 to 640x480 depending on area theme, and complexity may vary.

The engine is as close to feature-complete as it can be at this point.  It’s time for me to start building actual level content now and getting an artist on board.

4.   Assets Desired:  I’m looking for pixel art for tilesets, deco and character animations.  Current estimate puts tilesets at 8-10 areas (total sets may vary depending on tile re-use, recoloring, etc) a pretty significant amount of character, enemy, and larger boss sprites.  Minor characters and enemies have between 2-5 frames of total pixeling depending on their complexity.  For major character/enemy animations, most components have 2-3 frames.  Simplicity in style is fine with me as long as it fits. :)  Example again, Cave Story’s sprite animations.  They’re super simple, they’re often rotations, flips, modifications or recolors of other assets, and nobody cares one iota because they just plain work.  Deco objects associated with tilesheets may vary depending on how you incorporate them into your work.  We can discuss, but you’re the art expert after all.  Weapon, projectile, item, GUI, etc are also desired.  Recolors or modifications of other assets produced for this game are fine where appropriate.  I can put together a full (as best I have it right now) asset list at your convenience.  Let’s throw a preliminary estimate of ~60-120 additional assets to cover that stuff.  More likely closer to the higher end. 

5.   Talent / Position Requirements:  The artist needs to be able to produce simple, nice-looking tilesheets, backgrounds and characters.  The artist needs to be able to handle simple (2-3 frames, maybe 4 tops) animations for the characters, depending on the pose / action / importance of the character or object.  The artist ideally will ideally consult with me on developing the feel / aesthetic of the game within the scope of his art style. I don’t want to hand you a list of assets and then say “oh but that’s not what I imagined…” because that’s just stupid and a waste of your time.  Let’s work through things up front and develop the art style / expectations together so that your creativity can shine.  I’m a hobbyist and most likely an inexperienced idiot in all sorts of ways—I’m hiring you for your help to make the game beautiful because I can’t do it myself.  I’m willing to listen to ideas. :)

Artist needs to communicate.  I’m not expecting you to be at my beck and call, but if you’re going to disappear for a while, please have the courtesy to let me know so I’m not sitting there wondering what happened to you.  I’ll provide the same courtesy whenever my company sends me overseas as well so you know if I’m going to be tough to reach.  Really though, in the age of e-mail, a quick “hey, I’ll get back to you ASAP give me 3-4 days” isn’t much to ask for! :)

Deadlines:  Slowly but steadily is good enough for me.  I don’t have a strict deadline because I’m not a professional developer, so I’m not asking any hard deadlines of my artist.  As long as we keep talking to each other and get the art made at a steady pace, that’s fine.  You have a life and I’m not your full-time employer, so I’ll be reasonable! :)

6.   Payment:  Negotiated contract, no expectation of revenue sharing.  In alignment with forum expectations, I’m definitely willing to pay at least $15 an hour or higher based on your experience, skill, or other negotiations.  My wife (a children’s book illustrator) would murder me if I tried to shortchange an artist. :)  PM me and let’s talk!

7.   Contact Information:  PM me here for now.  I’ll provide outside contact info as required.

8.   Position is not local-only. 

If you're interested, send me a PM or post a reply with a link to your portfolio or past projects.  (No, I will NOT ask you to make anything as part of selection process.  Spec work can go shove it.)

Offline Luxumbra

• View Profile

Re: [PAID] Seeking artist for 2D Platformer

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:54:51 pm
Hi there!

My name is Loic Ferdinandi and I recently finished my game "Blink" which is now released on Steam. Here is a link if you want to check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/447210

I'm kinda lost on what to do now that I have nothing to work on at the moment and would love to help out! You can look at some of my pixel art on my website if you would like. I have a couple years worth of experience in pixel art and Blink is a 2D puzzle platformer, so I'm pretty used to working on platformers in general. Anyway, would love to collaborate and look forward to your response :)

Personal Website: http://lferdinandi.wixsite.com/loic-ferdinandi
Blink Website: http://nextrealitygames.com
Email: ferdinandi_loic@yahoo.com

Sincerely,
Loic Ferdinandi

Offline FGandhi

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:37 pm
Hey, just want to bump this quickly with a clarification on the initial post:

I've received a few PMs concerned that the $15.00 /hr is too low.  I just want to clarify that I'm not saying I'll pay $15.00 an hour, but that I'm offering to pay NO LESS THAN $15.00 per hour.  I'm totally open to negotiation, and the only reason I even listed  a price in the first place is because it was in the forum rules. :)

If you're a veteran artist who charges more and your interest is piqued, please feel free to contact me with your regular rates.  All I intended to say with that initial post was that I'm not going to try to be a cheapskate with your time and talent! :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Offline ShortStack McGee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:46 am
Hey, I'm interested in the job and am willing to do it for free. I'm an artist with a Cave-Storyesque art style, and am totally on the same page with the dislike of waiting long periods of time on responses.

If you'd like to employ me, please email me at shortystackmcgee@gmail.com.
If you don't want me for the job, I totally understand!

Thanks for your consideration,
~Stack

Offline Sazdx

• SazdxHikari
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/59952.htm
    • cieltron
    • View Profile
    • Behance Portfolio

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:26:49 am
Hello, I'm also interested in the position.

Since PMing doesn't seem to work too much for me at this time, I'll leave my portfolio and my contact info here:

http://www.behance.net/sazdx

sazdxhikari@gmail.com

I worked with several styles so I believe I can adapt to it if I have a guide =).
Please feel free to contact me if you're interested in my work or if you have any questions!

Offline FGandhi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:32:35 am
Hey, I'm interested in the job and am willing to do it for free. I'm an artist with a Cave-Storyesque art style, and am totally on the same page with the dislike of waiting long periods of time on responses.

If you'd like to employ me, please email me at shortystackmcgee@gmail.com.
If you don't want me for the job, I totally understand!

Thanks for your consideration,
~Stack

Have a link to your portfolio handy?

Offline Seven77

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:12 am
I sent you a pm ... if you want to see my work we can talk on skype  ;)

Offline 1Eni1

• @1ENl1
    • enimainstrm
    • 1eni1.deviantart.com
    • 1eni1.tumblr.com
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:50 am
Short Version:  Pixel artist required for paid work, hobbyist platformer project with loose deadlines.  See bullets 4 and 5 for assets and artist requirements.  PM me or link your portfolio if interested.
Hi! I am interested in working with you.

Portfolio:
https://www.artstation.com/artist/1eni1

Email: kirill.febriary@gmail.com

Have well experience of drawing scenes and worked under metroid remake (http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ru/).
I'm ready to work for price lower than $15/hr. Work fast and provide all guarantees.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:55:44 am by 1Eni1 »

Offline Jan_Erwin_Santiago

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:24 am
Hello my friend!
I am interested and willing to be your 2D artist, I have here link for my portfolio.
https://erwin12santiago.carbonmade.com/

Several art work are also here in my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013401166914&sk=photos&collection_token=100013401166914%3A2305272732%3A6

If you are interested you can chat me on skype erwin12santiago
or email me at santiago2015.cloud@gmail.com
Cheers!

Offline ShortStack McGee

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 10:47:42 pm
Have a link to your portfolio handy?

Unfortunately since I've never worked professionally I do not. Although I can create a few example sprites/textures that adhere to the theme at hand if you like, to see if you would work with it.