AuthorTopic: [WIP] the stage is set - for a very simple game  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Storyteller

• View Profile

[WIP] the stage is set - for a very simple game

on: April 02, 2017, 02:11:08 am
I get inspired every so often to work on a game. I am not very good at it. GameMaker Studio 2 just came out and they revamped the image editor. It has good stuff and not so good stuff that was changed  ???

I am working on a simple arcade type game, where you avoid falling icicles. I have been brushing up on pixel art, though Im very bad at that too.

Here is my WIP screen

I stayed with very minimal palette choices on purpose. Im going for an NES or early arcade look. This 'game' should be done in a few weeks. Im not going to be adding much else to this, maybe refining a bit. I think I will make the clouds bigger and use part of the top of one or two for snow on top of the walls.

I might make a couple of platforms you can hide under.

My next task, is to make a little guy, run back and forth, probably 32x32 size. (so 16x32 but a 32x32 space for him to move it).

Beyond that, touch up the icicles and get things moving. I want to finish this game, even if its a demo. So Im not trying to make a masterpiece, but I do want to improve my skills.

So, a few pointers and maybe point out where I could have improved the tileset?

Its 'flat' on purpose, Im not good enough yet to really Sel-Out or shade, so Im working on form, contours and how pixels 'work' as a medium first. so Im really looking for improvements there, I know its flat and will look better if I increase my palette by a color or two, but I form first. Or is adding a color or two part of form at this scale?
How is my use of color? I want the background to fade into subconscious so my PC and the icicles will 'pop'. Am I close there?

Thank you, I hope to get this going over the next few weeks.

--Story