AuthorTopic: made this a long time ago looking for feedback  (Read 1931 times)

Offline jt1241

• View Profile

made this a long time ago looking for feedback

on: April 02, 2017, 12:48:58 am

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: made this a long time ago looking for feedback

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 01:35:06 am
Pillow shading everywhere! Be careful about that.
When you're doing lighting, you should keep in mind the light source at all times. Why is the right edge of the hill lit up? why does the shadow not move directly away from that light source?

On top of that, you're missing a lot of detail! The hills and treetops are all so flat, like big plates of plastic! Where's the grass? Where's the texture? Pixelart relies on managing and abstracting those sorts of small details a lot, without them things look unnatural and flat. Experiment!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline jt1241

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:15:55 am
thanks for the feedback but like I said this was a while ago about maybe about 4 or 5 months ago and I haven't improved much since its hard for me to find feedback because all of my friends think this stuff is impressive because they never see any other sprite art or don't understand much about art in the first place. I get Ideas and think about drawings a lot and I can vividly imagine exactly how animations would look how a sprite could come out but I cant for the life of me put it into frame I keep trying occasionally but I can never seem to get anything how I want it to look. I made this a few days later

I messed up the lighting bad looking back on it.

and now a days its no different. I feel nervous that i'm one of those people that are not cut out for art or this skill that are unteachable and never learn from there mistakes. don't get me wrong I don't want to do this as a career or anything I just feel even though this doesn't mean anything its the only other productive thing I have besides school work. i'm probably just over exaggerating this and I don't mean to sound like winy teenager listing off his whole spiel.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 05:20:00 am
You've certainly come to the right place, friend. Start with normal art, first. I reccomend basic shapes like cones, spheres, and cubes to start practicing basic forms and shading.
Move on from there to more complex things like humans and machines, if you need some good learning materials there's always classic standby stand-up-guy andrew loomis.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |