AuthorTopic: Lost Fortress - of Dwarves and alien slugs  (Read 23492 times)

Offline llamacyst

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Dwarven Fortress and Stuff

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34:51 pm
Imo the new one is magnitudes better than the last, bbut in the end, i feel as though it comes down to personal taste.

Plus the dwarf looks like part of the castle instead of a different image just pasted in.
Contradicting what the other guy said, the new one draws the attention more to the dwarf due to the loss of detail(which is probably good).

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 04:25:01 am
New:

Old for comparison:

imo the old is miles better. the lower contrast and wider gamut of colors reads more like lighting on stone and less like what might be differences in texture/color on the new ones. it's just easier on the eyes. but eishiya and CFKaligula are on the nose with their edits.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 06:47:18 am
I disagree with above, new is way easier to read. It's clear what you're supposed to stand on, the colors work well with each other, and it's still recognizably stone. I'd play around with the colors for teh shadow though, I think they're a bit too saturated right now and it makes it look a bit faded.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 12:03:06 pm
Thanks for the feedbacks!

I'm afraid some of you replied based on the previous comparison, but I've made a toned down version of my previous barbaric edit, an actual game screen-shot, which is somewhere in the middle, less saturated and darker, but still more contrasted than the first image and based on a limited palette.

I was a bit tired of stone blocks and went back a bit on the character animations, right now the animation in the pipeline is the climbing on blocks one. Not the easiest of all! Sor far I'm pretty happy with the motion, but I'm eager to know what you think. The major constraint is speed, it must be done fast to make sure gameplay wise, it's pleasant to climb around.

Will be displayed at 300% zoom ingame, btw.

I want her to feel pretty swift an agile, despite having such short legs  :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:24:40 pm
He needs one more frame before standing or one less to make the rest of the motion quick enough to match!

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 12:30:53 pm
I think adding an anticipation frame helps the animation a lot. It makes sense that before such a high jump you need to collect some energy.
I tried it here:
You get in the bowl

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 03:57:04 pm
I think adding an anticipation frame helps the animation a lot. It makes sense that before such a high jump you need to collect some energy.
I tried it here:

Ooh, great suggestion here. Fixes the problem I was seeing elegantly!

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 06:21:29 pm
Thanks for the feedbacks! I've made some progress on the animation, not yet finished but pretty close.

I included a subtle anticipatory motion, I can't really overdo it, it has to happen fast in-game, and be fluid. The hair are my favorite part, I exaggerated the motion to give the character more energy. Animation is a bit longer than the previous wip version, but still compatible with what actually happens with the game object. For those interested, I separated the hitbox of the object when climbing and the animated sprite, which is displayed at fixed coordinates during the climbing. It's clean, always in the grid, and I just have to make sure that the hitbox is where I display the sprite.

Any feedback welcome!

- Skaz

[EDIT]

Just finished this animation, this is visual feedback for the players, letting them know they can also jump directly on the opposite direction when holding on to a ledge. It's not a mandatory step to perform the jump, as I said, only visual indication. The end is a bit hard with the braid, I might rework it a bit, but I don't want to add several more frames.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:27:17 pm by Skaz »

Offline Petrichor

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 04:34:12 pm
First, I just want to say that this is great.  Beautiful animation, shapes, colours, everything!

New:

Old for comparison:

The new one is more appealing in my opinion.  The only issue I see is that the player is hard to distinguish from the background bricks.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:04 am
Thanks Petrichor!

Made progress on the jumping animation, it's still a wip, final landing phase is not completed at all. The hair motion is also not fluid and dynamic yet. Any opinion so far?