AuthorTopic: Is Pixen worth 15€?  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Krice

• View Profile

Is Pixen worth 15€?

on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:17 am
I think there is no demo version to try out and not only that there is no manual to check out all features. Sometimes you need some special feature for reason X. It seems like it's priced just to make people buy it and hope for the best. At least there is some kind of QA forum that indicates Pixen has some basic level problems in how reliable it is. That alone makes me think no thanks, it's not worth 15€.

I'm in a process to create a pixel drawing tool myself (have been for a while..), but it's hard.

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: Is Pixen worth 15€?

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:20:48 am
I bought Pyxel a while back when it was included in a Humble Bundle, I think I paid about 2 Euros and I'm glad I did it and I'm quite satisfied with it, especially for that price.
So, maybe you wait for a sale of Pixen or another program.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:14:55 pm
I think there is no demo version to try out and not only that there is no manual to check out all features. Sometimes you need some special feature for reason X. It seems like it's priced just to make people buy it and hope for the best. At least there is some kind of QA forum that indicates Pixen has some basic level problems in how reliable it is. That alone makes me think no thanks, it's not worth 15€.

I'm in a process to create a pixel drawing tool myself (have been for a while..), but it's hard.
Contact the developer and ask them if it has the features you need.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:16:46 pm
For 15 euros I would definitely recommend Aseprite. It has all the features a pixel artist would need and a lot more for animation as well. It is also still being worked on so any requested features will probably be added.
You get in the bowl

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:10:10 pm
For 15 euros I would definitely recommend Aseprite. It has all the features a pixel artist would need and a lot more for animation as well. It is also still being worked on so any requested features will probably be added.

I second this. I also felt that Aseprite was better than Pixen.

Offline Krice

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:29 am

I'm wonder why there is no manual or complete list of features. It would probably only increase sales. The features I want are OSX version, modern RGBA colors, assignable second mouse button (for secondary color, not something like context menu which I hate) and possibly a fast way to view a tile repeated many times (to check the seams). But I guess I'm not even looking for that kind of program seriously, because I'm going to program it myself eventually. Maybe I was just wondering that way to sell the program as in this case. I don't understand why you would need to give such a vague impression of the program unless it's actually bad and you just want people to buy it. I think this is something that's quite obvious in AppStore, which is attracting developers looking for (easy?) money.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:40:45 pm
I'm wonder why there is no manual or complete list of features. It would probably only increase sales. The features I want are OSX version, modern RGBA colors, assignable second mouse button (for secondary color, not something like context menu which I hate) and possibly a fast way to view a tile repeated many times (to check the seams). But I guess I'm not even looking for that kind of program seriously, because I'm going to program it myself eventually. Maybe I was just wondering that way to sell the program as in this case. I don't understand why you would need to give such a vague impression of the program unless it's actually bad and you just want people to buy it. I think this is something that's quite obvious in AppStore, which is attracting developers looking for (easy?) money.
Allow me to be blunt: My point about you better contacting the dev directly is this: You can wonder all you want about features and accuse the dev of greed or whatever you like but none of that, spilling it all out here, is going to answer your questions about features better than the dev could. All that does is, it spreads ill will and negativity in the wrong place and I would be happy if you did not do that here and took any prejudice/beef you might have with the dev of that tool or questions about to the dev directly. It is of course ok to ask questions in an open forum but throwing accusations and spreading negativity around like that behind their back? That's just bad style don't you agree? Frankly, it looks like you're just trying to badmouth their product, a potential competitor to yours that you keep saying you want to write.

Offline Krice

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:02:23 pm
Frankly, it looks like you're just trying to badmouth their product, a potential competitor to yours that you keep saying you want to write.

Sorry buddy, my editor is freeware. I haven't made any "accusations", just wondering out loud. Things like a manual should be there, don't you think? Even better, a trial version would be the best option, because then you can test if the program works for you.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:20:24 pm
If you want a manual or a trial version, then you should ask the dev for those things. Complaining about it on an unrelated forum isn't going to make those things appear.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 06:25:20 pm
I haven't made any "accusations", just wondering out loud.
Yes you have, you may not be aware of it but these phrases you used are accusations:
  • It seems like it's priced just to make people buy it and hope for the best.
  • give such a vague impression of the program unless it's actually bad and you just want people to buy it.
  • I think this is something that's quite obvious in AppStore, which is attracting developers looking for (easy?) money

Things like a manual should be there, don't you think? Even better, a trial version would be the best option, because then you can test if the program works for you.
I am under the impression you are not getting the point. Well, eishiya just summarized it again. See, it does not matter what I think or anyone here about the availability of a trial version or any of the other "issues" you are raising with the tool. We can not do anything about it. You are barking up the wrong tree. Hence, contact the dev about those "issues" and about a trial version and about feature questions.