AuthorTopic: Fantasy Miniatures  (Read 24741 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: Fantasy Miniatures

Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:51 pm
Ok, so I did an icon to represent the rogue, dwarf:

I also replaced the generic icons with the actual equipment.

And toyed around some mockups.

I removed the names for inventory objects and the miniature inside the character sheet.

Nothing is hitting me as being right just now. :mean: I'll keep experimenting. Maybe I'll have no choice but to use a portrait.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:56:00 pm by Zizka »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 11:53:30 pm
That icon's larger than just having the character portrait would be xP
A similar issue is that your bars aren't really saving space because the labels for them (the heart and lightning icons) require so much padding that the bars end up very widely spaced. Since the colours are distinct, you could just use the colours. You could also make smaller icons in addition to using the colours.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 15, 2017, 12:45:22 am
Yeah I'll stick to portraits I think. Keep it simple.

I think I'll go with this:

(with the portrait in the box).

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 15, 2017, 07:41:13 am
I like it :)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 15, 2017, 12:14:56 pm
Thanks!

You'll notice the generic weapon/armor icons have been replaced with unique gear icons for each character which looks better in my opinion.

That'd be about the final version. The only thing still bothering me is the portrait thing but I think I'll wing it like this. Using icons in the boxes to represent the heroes feels counter-intuitive to me. One thing I could do is remove the box altogether and just have the character there without the figurine base.

EDIT: I'm thinking like this for the final version, which IMHO looks right (compare left to right):

For the character card, I'm using some design ideas from Hero Quest. Granted, it was a board game so some concepts do not translate as well into a game, namely the amount of information on the card (which I've left out).

EDIT2: Regarding the tiles, I've experimented a few things based on the comments I got, what do you think?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:02:45 pm by Zizka »

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: March 15, 2017, 01:24:17 pm
Personally, I like the full portrait border :)

About the tiles:
1, 2 and 2 all look ok.
I see a problem with 5 in that there is a reflection in the corner that hints at a polished surface, but then there's these pretty random cracks that would suggest a dilapitated environment. I say "random cracks" because they also appear in place that are uncommon for a tile to break at. Usually, it would break at the corner, or if the force was applied to the interior, then there'd be more than one crack going through; at least a "Y"-pattern would form.

I have drawn some suggestions for 5

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 02:20:12 pm
Personally, I like the full portrait border
Really, you don't mind the border cutting off the character? That's what I don't like about it.

Regarding the tiles, I used this reference:

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 02:53:37 pm
I feel the way you cut the characters off is awkward, but it could be done better, and would feel more unified than the full, open-bordered portraits that are all different sizes.

When looking for ref, look for real stuff. Artists get things wrong all the time xP

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 03:13:12 pm
Ah ok, that might be part of it. The thing is that the character have different heights (which I wanted) but that causes problem when the picture frames are all of the different size.

I'm also experimenting with movement concepts. Comments?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:16:49 pm by Zizka »

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:37 pm
I think a combination of the last two would be best. The footsteps don't really read well to me.
Showing the overall movement range is important, and the dotted line is the clearest about where the character will walk.

If the exact path a character takes isn't important, then I think you shouldn't show it, just show the overall movement range, and the currently selected target tile. If you highlight the path, it makes it look like it patters, and players will expect to be able to control the exact path.
I'd also think about what other contexts might involve selecting a tile. Attacking, perhaps? It'll probably make for the most intuitive UI if the targeting cursors for selecting tiles are similar in all contexts, changing colour or perhaps changing some icon, but shaped and controlled the same way.