AuthorTopic: Fantasy Miniatures  (Read 24706 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Fantasy Miniatures

on: March 02, 2017, 02:49:00 pm
Hello guys!

I'm working on a side project mostly for fun at the moment.

Basically I'm trying to convey the idea of a miniature, sort of like you'd see in games like "Hero Quest" or "Dungeons & Dragons".

I've tried 8 different versions but I'm not happy with it:

I'd like feedback on what would look best. Perhaps different parts from different versions? Edits?

Thanks!

Offline AppleGirl

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Miniatures

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:18 pm
I think my favorite ones you have are 7 and 8. I liked the shading on them, but the neck on 7 might be a little long. Maybe shorten by one pixel? I think you could add a little bit of brightness on the chest plate like how you have it on the helmet. Otherwise, I think it looks great! Good job!

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:53:24 pm
Based upon the bases they're standing on, you wouldn't even see a neck.  Sort of a semi top-down view.  These are very cute though.   :)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:32:02 pm
I don't like 'em at the moment but I'll rework them until I do. Thanks for the messages though, I do appreciate it.

Offline AppleGirl

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:01:25 pm
12 is especially good  :y:

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:17:13 am
I agree with AppleGirl.  12 is best.  Much more dynamic pose. You could take it even further.

Edit:

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:15:44 pm
Thanks!

I've made a few adjustments based on the edit and started on the wizard:

Could you tell me how to improve on the wizard please?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:02:32 pm by Zizka »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:18:50 pm
With small sprites, you should exaggerate the important features. Give the wizard a bigger hat, make the brim much wider. It's okay if it obscures the face more, since there's not much to see there anyway. The purple rim on the robe looks like a shadow that doesn't belong. Perhaps use a lighter rather than darker pattern? You could also add visual interest by giving it a shape other than [rectangular strip]. You could make it wavy or triangular, or you could put a pattern within the strip.
You could give the wizard a belt with trinkets and potions hanging off it, so that he's not just a purple blob. It would be difficult to have all that detail at this size, but just suggesting some colours there and breaking up the purple should work well enough.

The knight has no hip protection. He'd go down with one hit! Hip protection is important because the hips are an easy target, since they're large and don't move around very much. I think hip plates or a metal tunic would be a good addition. Plus, that's something people are used to seeing in knight armour, so it should help the knight read as a knight better.

The knight's chest plate also bugs me a bit. He's got boob plate! Though there definitely was armour that had outlines of the muscles, it was decorative, not meant for situations where the wearer expects to fight. It wasn't armour you'd take to a dungeon. Armour for combat had no nooks on the chest, nothing to catch and direct blows towards the wearer, the shape was designed to deflect blows. European example, Japanese example.

The floor tiles are in a different perspective from everything else. See how your die's top face isn't a square, but a rectangle? The floor tiles should have the same proportions, since they're also horizontal squares in the same perspective.

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:16:44 pm
My ideas:

I think round, thin based look better :)
The warrior is holding his small shield very high up
The wizard could use a wider hat as suggested above, and the contrast between the robe and the pattern on it could be increased; Maybe make it much brighter, or even a yellowish hue (wizards seem to like a star motif on their robes ;) )

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 06:21:39 pm
Thanks for the comments, I'll take it in stride.

@えいしや:Could you do an edit of the floor tile? I don't understand.