AuthorTopic: 2nd Pixel Art - Samurai Jack in the Jungle  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Kya Hon

• View Profile

2nd Pixel Art - Samurai Jack in the Jungle

on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:11 pm

Criticism greatly appreciated. Also, anyone else hyped for season 5? I know I am since we're finally going to get resolution after 12 years. Not to go off topic, but man it's been a long time since that part of my childhood.

Offline Kya Hon

• View Profile

Re: 2nd Pixel Art - Samurai Jack in the Jungle

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:13:08 pm
Forgot shadow- oops. Will add later, noted.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:25:42 am
Samurai jack doesn't wear a pantsuit, that's what I'm noticing here! Study some of the screenshots of the show, try and recreate the blocky geometric art style as much as you can!
For example, in most shots jack's thick neck leads from his shoulder into his head to create a curve and tilt reminiscent of old japanese samurai paintings. In fact, a lot of his poses in the show are directly inspired by these paintings! I believe this is a recreation, but it gives you an idea of the inspiration they drew from:

As for jack, here's his model sheet:

Hope this helps!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Kya Hon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:13:52 am
Thanks for the tips (and giant reference guide :) ), I forgot to make it droopier and instead made it look like a generic MMA 'gi'. I will fix it up and reupload tomorrow, thank you for being so helpful so early, MysteryMeat!

Offline Kya Hon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:36:07 pm

Revisions:
-added shadow to Jack
-made his gi more kimono-like (sidenote: in the show iirc he indeed refers to it as a gi)
-tried to make face more expressive and surprised/angry

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:55 pm
I'd say you're well on your way! Next step is to reduce some of the colors you have going on. Samurai jack used a very heavy masking-based lineless art style, meaning things were typically layered heavily and didn't have any outlines to them.

You can see this in all shots of the show, like here:

Note how the only times lines happen are when they need to put in a detail, like jack's face wrinkles or folds in his Kimono.

When you're emulating this art style, try to think in terms of blocks of flat colors rather than in terms of linework! Try to reduce his outfit to two colors, a light grey and a middle grey.
I'd reccomend redrawing that entirely too, samurai jack really rides on its flowy and heavily-geometric art style and you really need to draw from that from core to base.

Finally, I actually think the original  expression was better! Jack tends more towards stern glares and your original expression gave him more of a wary look.

More in terms of general advice, you may benefit pretty well from some gesture drawings! quickposes.com is my website of choice, but the technique is excellent for loosening up your poses.

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Kya Hon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:46 pm
I made and posted another Samurai Jack pixelart in a new topic in the hopes of addressing the artstyle comment.