AuthorTopic: I could use feedback on color and texture!  (Read 1652 times)

Offline beggar_studios

• View Profile

I could use feedback on color and texture!

on: February 28, 2017, 05:51:21 pm
Hi everyone! I'm making an rpg game set in a desert world and I'm currently working on color schemes, sprites and textures. I can make sprites just fine but textures and good use of color are difficult to me.

Anyway, I'm asking for feedback on the colors I'm using here, what do you think about that? And I've been trying to texture the path for hours now but nothing good comes out, can someone recommend me a technique that would work well? Or does it need texturing at all? Thanks in advance!

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: I could use feedback on color and texture!

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:50:27 pm
I think you should add some light complementary purples into your sand (like in the shadows and under some rocks). It could help adding bushes and larger, more noticeable rocks around the path. You could also add footprints to the path to give it an appropriate texture. I think this simple style is cool (reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter or MoonHunters) but if you want to create more textured environments, you should looks at SNES/GBA/Genesis artwork.

So you just have little dots on the ground to give the impression of rocks against sand. If you want a textured effect, it would help creating a tiling texture to repeat around your image. Adding other things like other sprites (brown dead grass, green cacti, ivory bones) kind of have an effect on the overall color work too. I've never created a scene like this so I hope my comments help. What art style your going for depends on you. Keep it up!