AuthorTopic: Pixel Cars.  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Fley

• View Profile

Pixel Cars.

on: February 24, 2017, 08:15:17 pm
What do you think about it? :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Pixel Cars.

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:56:24 pm
Mixing digital painting techniques (gradients, translucency effects, etc) with sharp pixel art makes the whole thing look like a pixelated, boxy digital painting, rather than like slick pixel art. Why not just make everything smooth and not pixel art?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:45:25 am
What he said. If you're going to use effects like that you have to be CERTAIN they're going to fit into the pixel grid! Games like terraria and starbound both use pixelated lighting effects, they might be a good thing to study!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Fley

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 09:58:18 am
Mixing digital painting techniques (gradients, translucency effects, etc) with sharp pixel art makes the whole thing look like a pixelated, boxy digital painting, rather than like slick pixel art. Why not just make everything smooth and not pixel art?

Did you meant this?) btw it isn't pixel art, it is a testing part of the game, but idk which variant is better. (Sorry for bad english).

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:50 pm
Yes! That looks much more unified! Keep toying around with it, the dropoff on beams of light have, to my eyes at least, always seemed to have a pretty abrupt dropoff into darkness from about midway down the beam. Study some pictures off google, you're doing great!

Offline Fley

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:26:58 pm

Yes! That looks much more unified! Keep toying around with it, the dropoff on beams of light have, to my eyes at least, always seemed to have a pretty abrupt dropoff into darkness from about midway down the beam. Study some pictures off google, you're doing great!

Thank you so much :) I did this one just for 30 minutes, and of course i will make it better and send in this topic)

Offline Fley

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:08:34 pm

Hi again! I've done (: Is it better?

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:01 pm
Much! That looks quite excellent! You've still got some normal-res glow effects there though on top of your light beams, try to avoid resolution mixing like that!
Instead, try layering a transparent pixel circle the same size as the glow boundaries. You can flub color limitations far more than you can get away with resolution mixing!

Offline Fley

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:53:19 pm
Yes, i know, i have some problems with normal light effects, but i don't know how to do this in pixel art style ): i saw standart effects like this in Terraria and other games too. Can you send me example of this effect?

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 06:14:39 pm
I wouldn't be able to post an example since I can never get pngs or jpgs to preserve transparency, it would have to be an effect done either in-engine or through some method I don't know about! It would be a simple thing though, just a simple circle-tool circle with the edges faded out like the headlights, like this:

Something akin to that with the outer edges getting gradually more transparent rather than changing hues, if that makes sense. Been up since yesterday morning, apologies for the slipshod work there.

Offline Fley

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 06:32:58 pm
thank you, i will try to make radial lights better (: