AuthorTopic: [C+C] Looking for feedback on an attic scene I drew  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Knowlesspot

• View Profile

[C+C] Looking for feedback on an attic scene I drew

on: February 24, 2017, 08:50:32 am
Spent around 5 hours drawing this for the pixeldaily yesterday, looking for feedback on it. :) What could I do to improve it and what could I have done differently? It's 100x100 and I didn't use a limited colour palette, though I intended to at the start.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Looking for feedback on an attic scene I drew

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:13:27 am
Right now I'd say the biggest problems are your clusters and the shading on the roof. Definitely reduce the colors some, try to make the shadows a bit darker so they stand out more from the wooden beams. You've also forgotten edge lighting and made those same beams too dark, make them a proper woody color like the rest of the roof parts!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Knowlesspot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:33 am
Right now I'd say the biggest problems are your clusters and the shading on the roof. Definitely reduce the colors some, try to make the shadows a bit darker so they stand out more from the wooden beams. You've also forgotten edge lighting and made those same beams too dark, make them a proper woody color like the rest of the roof parts!

Are there any good tutorials/explanations for clusters? I'm very new to this so I'm not sure on a lot of the techniques. Thanks for your feedback, I'll work on these things.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:18 am
I'm sure there are, though I  can't think of any off the top of my head. The concept for clusters though is to try and avoid single pixels or disconnected lines of pixels by keeping things chunky and grouped.
To illustrate, here's a "bad" cluster and a "good" cluster:

"Bad", there's a lot of hatching and visual noise that creates a grainy, cluttered look.

"Good", there's no longer any single-pixelwidth tangents or free-floating pixels, resulting in a smoother yet still textured appearance.

Obviously these aren't applicable, and in some instances noisier textures are desirable, but hopefully that helps with understanding the concept!

Offline Knowlesspot

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:00 am
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense now! Instead of remaking what I've drawn already I'm going to apply this to the next thing I do.

I also found this example very helpful:

Offline Sersch

• @moi_rai_
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:59 pm
i like it. The little table in the middle maybe looks like it is out of place, maybe because its too bright

Offline Jehannum

• MMA-inspired Artist
    • jehannumma
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 11:14:40 am
one part that is bugging me a little is the angle of the bed frame that runs parallel to the floorboards...and the fact that the floorboards get considerably wider as they get closer to the "camera". Shouldn't that chosen perspective effect the bed (and carpet) more noticeably?

I am curious what others think
-----Working on my sig-----

Offline Knowlesspot

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 05:36:58 pm
one part that is bugging me a little is the angle of the bed frame that runs parallel to the floorboards...and the fact that the floorboards get considerably wider as they get closer to the "camera". Shouldn't that chosen perspective effect the bed (and carpet) more noticeably?

I'd honestly agree with you, this is one of my first real attempts at making something with pixel art so perspective is something I definitely need to work on.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:32 pm

I'd honestly agree with you, this is one of my first real attempts at making something with pixel art so perspective is something I definitely need to work on.
Force yourself to take the time to set up guidelines for reference. I tend to make a 3d grid box to work from most times, like this sorta:
vanishing points and scale references like this, even roughs like this, can make a world of difference for figuring out the weird curving and scaling bits.