AuthorTopic: [C+C] Trying to create a green bush  (Read 1971 times)

Offline JeffSturm4nn

• View Profile

[C+C] Trying to create a green bush

on: February 23, 2017, 03:12:09 pm
Hello, gentlemen.

I would like to know what are your suggestions and critiques about this piece by asking for your wisdom
and experience in pixel art.  :)

It took me 8+ hours to create this one, but it doesn't look that good to me yet.

How could i/would you improve it?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:13:46 pm by JeffSturm4nn »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [C+C] Trying to create a green bush

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:02:11 pm
You've put a lot of work into rendering the leaves, but it looks like you've forgotten that those leaves are attached to branches, since on most bushes, the leaves obscure the inner branches. As a result, with the neat structure of leaves, your bush looks more like a decorative pillow that has leaves sewn on for decoration.
Think about the underlying structure of the bush. The leaves are in clumps at the ends of branches (the inner parts are in the dark and are therefore bare of leaves), so bushes are usually build up of these clumps. The shape and arrangement of the clumps varies from species to species, and individual to individual. Look at some real bushes for ideas.
Carefully trimmed bushes have less visible structure because they're made to have smoother surfaces, but even they still have leaves growing out of branches, there's still a clump-like structure you can see from the directions of the leaves.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:04:55 pm by eishiya »

Offline Donsveertje

• Donsveertje
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:34 pm
Hi!
first off, I love the palette that you used. How the color goes a little warmer when it gets lighter.

Zoomed in, I think it looks really good with the individual leaves! The shape doesn't translate very well when you zoom out though.
I think maybe there's a little too much detail, were the overall shape and form gets a little lost (with the high contrast areas near the top layers).
And also near the sides, you have leaves that seem to be sticking out at slightly different angles, which creates lots of depth, yet the front-facing bit seems a little too neat and orderly. (like what Eishiya just said, basically)

I really hope this helps! I'd love to see what this will look like when you're done : D

Offline JeffSturm4nn

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:13:49 am
Thank you for your suggestions  :hehe:  I'll try to improve it based on what you said.