AuthorTopic: Female Alien Officer  (Read 3625 times)

Offline AdjectiveAnimal

• View Profile

Female Alien Officer

on: February 21, 2017, 05:31:56 am
Here is one character for a game I'm working on. I am not sure if I have the colors or shading quite right and I seem to have this feeling with a lot of the characters I've made so far. I appreciate any advice on what could be done to improve this.

Thanks!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Female Alien Officer

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:04 pm
Left side of her face is shaded when it shouldn't be, other than that looks fine. I'd tweak the design some though, doesn't quite give me a properly alien vibe. Something notably inhuman like doubled pupils or a strange outcropping of flesh can do it without ruining the cutesy aesthetics of it. Frills are a noted favorite.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline AdjectiveAnimal

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:52:47 pm
Left side of her face is shaded when it shouldn't be, other than that looks fine. I'd tweak the design some though, doesn't quite give me a properly alien vibe. Something notably inhuman like doubled pupils or a strange outcropping of flesh can do it without ruining the cutesy aesthetics of it. Frills are a noted favorite.

Thank you, MysteryMeat! I added some light to the top and left side of her hair and face based on your comment. I did play around with more alien-like features, but it doesn't really fit well. My intention was to be more subtle in the differences anyway, but I appreciate your comment.

I am still looking for additional critique if anyone sees something else I could work on. Here is the revised version of the portrait.

Thanks!

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:22 pm
i really like it.
try to cut down colors and do better clusters as an exercise

Offline AdjectiveAnimal

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 11:54:00 pm
i really like it.

Thank you, Bak!

That sounds like a great idea. I am still learning the terminology and I've looked up clusters, though I'm unclear on what "better" means in this case. And by cutting colors, do you mean I should limit the actual hues of color or the number of shades? If you wouldn't mind clarifying I would be so grateful.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:55:35 am
Edit, disregard what was originally here.
CRITWAYS, have you tried making her hair blobs tentacles? It wouldn't be too hard a conversion and wouldn't sacrifice the design you have, just a few suckers or some shiny spots to imply a slick surface.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:57:17 am by MysteryMeat »

Offline AdjectiveAnimal

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 06:42:54 pm
i really like it.

Well I took a guess at what I should do with this in mind and simplified the colors a bit and fixed up some shapes. Here is the result:

Edit, disregard what was originally here.
CRITWAYS, have you tried making her hair blobs tentacles? It wouldn't be too hard a conversion and wouldn't sacrifice the design you have, just a few suckers or some shiny spots to imply a slick surface.

Although I am more looking for critique on the technique used than in the design of the character, I did try adding highlights to imply that the hair is of a tentacle nature. Here are two variations of that.

I am leaning towards keeping it plain, but I am interested to hear other opinions.

Thanks!

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:49:36 pm
Solid improvement on the clusters. Sorry, everyone beat me to the technical stuff so I'm going on design! I'll cut that out now, haha

Offline AdjectiveAnimal

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:35:09 pm
Solid improvement on the clusters. Sorry, everyone beat me to the technical stuff so I'm going on design! I'll cut that out now, haha

Thank you, MysteryMeat! I do value your ideas and had fun trying them out. I will definitely keep them in mind the next time I'm designing an alien!

I am much happier with this character now, and I think I understand better what I need to do to improve the rest of my character portraits. Thanks again everyone!