AuthorTopic: [C+C] I'm new to this, but would love some feedback  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

[C+C] I'm new to this, but would love some feedback

on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:02 pm
Hey there pixelation community :) I've just started doing pixel art (literally in the last week and a half) and would love to have some feedback on my latest attempt.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] I'm new to this, but would love some feedback

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:49 am
Hey this is really good for starting out. Some easy improvement might be:

- instead of black outline use a dark grey, as it's contrasting very strongly
- increase the contrast on the gun. you have a couple of greys that are very similar and a couple of browns that are very similar. I'd make them more different in value (darkness).

The silhouette of the gun is very good and it is reading clearly and accurately. Your main focus should be improving the form inside the outline - getting the shapes to read well. To do this you will need to do research into lighting / light sources and clearly pick a light direction for the piece.

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:17:15 pm
Hey this is really good for starting out. Some easy improvement might be:

- instead of black outline use a dark grey, as it's contrasting very strongly
- increase the contrast on the gun. you have a couple of greys that are very similar and a couple of browns that are very similar. I'd make them more different in value (darkness).

The silhouette of the gun is very good and it is reading clearly and accurately. Your main focus should be improving the form inside the outline - getting the shapes to read well. To do this you will need to do research into lighting / light sources and clearly pick a light direction for the piece.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to try and read up on lighting like you said, and make some changes in the next couple of days   ;D

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:26:50 pm
Here's an update with better colors, a modified outline and less banding. I'm not quite sure how to do the shading though, particularly on the handle.

Offline DylanTheDev

• dylanlevitsky_1
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:22:52 am
Hey I made a edit and made parts bigger so detail would be more applicable. I added shading as well. A tip would be to find a good reference and try and mimic where the lighting is on it.

P.S Use a png background next time.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 02:37:12 pm
I want to point out that Dylan's edit is less reliant on outlines than the original. While outlines can be useful as a stylistic tool and to help separate sprites from busy backgrounds, in pixel art they often take up space that you could be using for detail. So, when adding details, try to avoid doing them with lines, and instead create them with light and shadow. Add outlines later if they're still needed.

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:37:23 pm
Hey I made a edit and made parts bigger so detail would be more applicable. I added shading as well. A tip would be to find a good reference and try and mimic where the lighting is on it.

P.S Use a png background next time.

I want to point out that Dylan's edit is less reliant on outlines than the original. While outlines can be useful as a stylistic tool and to help separate sprites from busy backgrounds, in pixel art they often take up space that you could be using for detail. So, when adding details, try to avoid doing them with lines, and instead create them with light and shadow. Add outlines later if they're still needed.

Thanks for both of your posts (particularly yours eishiya) I've made some very good progress in the last few days - something just clicked for some reason if you can believe it. Shifting the focus away from lines is the key to it.

I'm still not perfect, but I think there's definitely improvement:

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:11:20 pm
Agreed, keep it up. You're using much better colours and contrast now. The cup handle could be a little thicker.