AuthorTopic: Need some feedback on my game art!  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Lethandralis

• View Profile

Need some feedback on my game art!

on: February 10, 2017, 09:38:10 pm

Hello guys,
This is an image from a game I am developing and I am looking for some feedback to amp up my pixel art skills. This image is composed by many different assets, so the objects are not static. (So, I'm not sure if I can implement the campfire as a light source etc.). Comments on the overall image (color palette, composition etc.), as well as feedback on individual sprites would be greatly appreciated!

Offline PikSel

• View Profile

Re: Need some feedback on my game art!

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:12:19 am
Well I personally think its beautiful haha. The only thing I would change though is maybe the shading of the house roof tiles. It goes against the light source you have created for the rock tiles, the foreground bushes and the tree for example..for them three its coming from the top right but the roof tiles are getting light from the bottom right (how it appears to me). Thats what made the roof tiles stick out for me. I am fairly new to all of this so I could be wrong.

Overall though I like it, would definitely play the game!

Offline Lethandralis

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 01:58:45 am
Thank you for the reply! That is a good observation, I noticed it also when you mentioned. I always try to use top right as my light source, but I agree with you on the roof tiles.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 03:16:16 am
Good job! It looks a bit messy but has potential.
Some things that bug me:

The background vegetation doesn't contrast enough with the tree leaves, I would desaturate it.
The most saturated thing in the image is the ground tile. That looks kind of weird.
The standing character doesn't pop up enough from the rest of the image and the proportions are a bit weird and don't match with the character in the tree.
The characters' lightsource doesn't match with the one for the trees, the house the rocks...
The house roof looks kind of random and too shiny. Some simple shading could give nice depth to the house.

Offline Lethandralis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:56:52 pm

Thank you for the feedback Curly, I tried to tweak the image a bit.

* Played with the saturation values to make the character more saturated and the background less so.
* Redid the roof tiles. Not sure if I am satisfied with it though.
* Added more shading to the house.
* The character sprite is mirrored when facing right, so the light source moves from top left to top right. Isn't mirroring sprites how most games handle moving characters?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:00:35 am by Lethandralis »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:57:38 am
When I make sprites for games (or mockups) I try not to set the lightsource at one side because of that. I usually set it at the top and maybe a little bit to the one side ,but not enough for the sprites to look weird when you mirror them. I'm not sure if that's the best way, but it has worked for me so far.

The roof looks better now imo and the colors from the vegetation are still pretty similar to the tree ones :P

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:12:27 am
Your tweaks on saturation did a nice job, but there is still (imho) a lot to do. You still have several objects that mostly catch the light on their very edge (the stone, the bushes), and make them look fairly flat.
The rocks in the dirt use pillow shading, which makes their shape quite undefined. I think you can do better with the colors you have picked there.

Possibly, what troubles me the most is the shapes you use for mountains. They look made of bumps as the bunch of leaves used on the tree, while mountains would more likely be curved in the other direction (inwards).

Hope it will help.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:33:42 am
I think it's quite boring and lumpy/ugly, and the palette doesn't harmonize well. The house on the left is my favourite. You should think of some more cool ideas to play with and really sell this game, as there isn't really anything here special or unique or particularly interesting.

Here are some random artworks which have inspired me. Pay attention to the palettes and composition of them, as well as the design features which make them interesting. Trying to shoot for a particular mood is one way to think about it - to keep focus, and keep things unified.

Feng Zhu

Flashback

Jeremy Fenske

Studio Gibley

Starcraft 2 (protoss mothership)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:42:24 am by rocifier »

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 10:41:03 am
Looks nice so far!
The background could be made less saturated and less contrasting with the foreground. As like it is now, the character kind of disappears in all that background detail. It is not immediately clear what is interactable and what is background.