AuthorTopic: Trouble with big tree trunk (baobab)  (Read 4909 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Trouble with big tree trunk (baobab)

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 10:11:07 pm
Good changes! I think the new trunk colour is very effective.

The trunk looks great. The branches feel a little flat still, but I think that may be due to the foliage more than anything. If the tree's foliage is in a flat disk (as your "side view" suggests), then that foliage disk should be seen from above as well, and have a similar shape (details aside) to that of the base of the trunk. The individual clumps of leaves should also not be so flat, since we're seeing them from above.
Very loose edit to show what I mean:

I made the clumps rounder and made the entire crown rounder, since we're seeing some of the back clumps too from this angle.
I also moved one of the side branches over so that it wasn't level with the branch on the other side. When things are level like that, it makes the tree feel flat/side-viewey.
You could probably make the leaf clumps less "lush" than I've made them by adding more holes and such in them. You should probably also position them differently. This edit isn't meant to make the tree look better, but to show you how you can show the 3/4 perspective with such a crown shape.

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 01:30:13 am
Did another take on the canopy to try seeing more of it but it feels like a messed it up, I don't get a feeling of depth but I can't really put my finger on what I can do to correct it. Also most of the branches (that I was pretty pleased with) can't be seen any more.
Maybe I should to a dead baobab without canopy... ;P

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33:44 pm
You could always move the canopy up a bit to show more of the branches, and have more holes in it. Baobabs aren't usually this lush.
I think the lack of depth comes from a couple of factors:
1. They appear to be shaded like they're in side view rather than from above. From above, with how flat the leaves are, we shouldn't see so much shadow on the bottom. Also remember that baobab leaves clumps are rather flat. The tops of them being shaded creates a very round, bulbous look, which isn't very baobab-like.
2. They're shaded independently of one another, there is no sense of some being lower than others. Think about the tree in 3D space. Which clumps block the light from reaching other clumps? Why is light able to hit all the branches even though there are leaves above them? Since with this combination of view, light source, and leaf clump shapes, you can't really rely on the clumps to create depth, you need to use overlapping and cast shadows to create depth.

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 05:12:32 pm
I've started on another update and thought I'd ask for some input midway.
- Added some more branchen going up/down (towards the viewer/away from the viewer) (almost completely covered by the temp foliage)
- Made all branches one color curve step darker
- Made new foliage.
I tried getting a better sense of depth with the foliage and would really appreciate some feedback on that before doing all the detail.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:30:45 pm by startselect »

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:39 am
Finished the tree now! Any feedback?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:31 am
Tweak the branches so at least one is visible again, otherwise looking great!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |