AuthorTopic: Walk cycle  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Vanilliyan

• Vanilliyan
    • Vanilliyan
    • Vanilliyan
    • Vanilliyan
    • View Profile

Walk cycle

on: February 09, 2017, 01:10:17 pm

It's been a few months since I've worked on this one but picked it up recently since I do like the idea of using this at some point. I spent tens of hours on this one, since the walk always felt off before finally reaching a point where I thought it might be good.

However, I'm still a newbie to spriting, and I'm missing the speed and quality improvement I need to make something out of it. Again, this took tens of hours of work. I'm curious to know what it is that I'm doing good already, but moreso what's going wrong (or if I'm doing everything wrong, lack of self-esteem shows that.

I remember that some frames' feet drived me nuts getting the angle of the feet right, so I hope that worked out.

Anyway, I hope it's not too much of a burden to help me out here. I truly appreciate it. I really want to become better at spriting!

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Re: Walk cycle

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:03:53 pm
That's honestly pretty good. One thing you might want is to add volume and depth to the sprite, with a bit of sub pixel animation, like animating shadows on the model. You might also want to choose a direction for the light, what you are doing right now is close to pillow shading. Animating the shadow is specially useful when several poses are identical, it preserves the feeling of motion.

I edited it just to show you what I mean, it's not top notch quality work:

Offline Vanilliyan

• Vanilliyan
    • Vanilliyan
    • Vanilliyan
    • Vanilliyan
    • View Profile

Re: Walk cycle

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 02:27:16 pm
Thanks for the kind words, Skaz!

I'm unsure what it still means to add volume and depth to a sprite along with subpixel animation, I'll look into that and see what it'll do for the sprite.

Pillow shading is something I was trying to avoid, is it because of the darker tones near the edges of a lighter part? I was trying to use some anti-alias but I suppose I still need to improve that part... I do agree I need to work on the lighting, I usually just "go for it" and see what works, but I can understand how it might feel off here. I think that working on the shadows can create that sense of motion that I've found is still lacking, mostly so at the head/hair.

Your version does show how much more fluid it could be, and I'm glad to see that. I do want to keep some darker pixels to the hair, to show some more detail in it, so I might need to find a common ground between my own and your edited version, shadow wise, I can really use this advice.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out here, I really appreciate it! I'll be busy editing the sprites and hopefully post a new version later on!