AuthorTopic: [C+C] "Stony" Space Ship  (Read 3340 times)

Offline JeffSturm4nn

• View Profile

[C+C] "Stony" Space Ship

on: January 30, 2017, 05:09:56 pm
Hello, this is my first post here  :hehe:

This is a 100x100 spaceship i made in Aseprite, after almost 5 years of not practicing PA at all.
I would like to know where i could improve and what looks wrong in the sprite by
asking for your limitless pixel wisdom and experience  :)   
Thanks in advance.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [C+C] "Stony" Space Ship

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:15:09 pm
It's very noisy. If everything is textured, then there's no context for that texture, and it reads like noise. Try using larger clusters, and suggesting the texture on the boundaries of colours (light/shadow). You don't need to texture everything.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:40:18 pm
To expand on what eishiya said, try to think about the material and it's environment more too!
Stone can be filed down pretty well, but it's a rough, brittle material! And in space, it'd be prone to things like chipping from small asteroids to cracking from general wear!
Also, try to think your color choices through more! I lowered the contrast and coloration on some of your greys to produce this stone cube, so you can see the things I did with it better!

Notably, I implemented those craters and pockmarks as well as some "bumps" implied by the lighter pixels and the shadows they cast from the light source.
Start with a smooth two-tone cell shaded structure, and try to work that texture in -sparingly-!
Pixel art is a very restrictive medium, if you try to push too much texture into a given space you'll wind up obfuscating what it's supposed to be. Less is very much more!*
(*This is not always the case, but it's what I try to work from most when I'm doing pixel art. Reducing colors, textures, and details does a lot for making it clear what you're looking at when done properly!)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline JeffSturm4nn

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 01:51:53 am
Thank you for replying, guys. I'll test your suggestions in a new spaceship i'm working on.
I find creating textures a really difficult thing, and when is needed to set darker/brighter locations according to a light source, it becomes a nightmare. Do you guys know any tutorial, article or even other examples like the MysteryMeat's stone cube for reference? It would help wonders.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:55:20 am by JeffSturm4nn »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:17:48 am
One of the best tips I can give you is to beef up your google-fu! Figuring out how to tweak search results to get references is somewhat of an excellent skill to have.
Here, though, to answer your question:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pixel+art+material&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir4ZSpqOvRAhXEjFQKHc6XAIcQ_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=721

Offline JeffSturm4nn

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:50:51 am
I polished the sprite and remove the noise. What do you think?

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:55:08 am
Close, now you need to tweak the design I think! As it is it's too "rounded" to really speak to stone, which tends towards angles and points. Try thinking in terms of slabs and pillars!

Offline JeffSturm4nn

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 07:21:51 am
in fact i didn't hav the intention of rendering it like made of stone. i just call it "stony" because it looked like made of stone in the previous version XD i'll try to improve it.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 11:15:22 pm
I think the design is boring. Why not do something interesting with more of a story? Like this for example: