AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP]NES Style Character Animations and Effects  (Read 7562 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C][WIP]NES Style Character Animations and Effects

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 01:05:11 am
I think the outline looked fine, but the gun is still shrinking into the arm. There should always be a fixed distance from the elbow to the gun casing at the wrist.
What he said, you're still not moving the upper arm (shoulder to elbow) to facilitate that movement.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 05:10:41 am
Thanks for the comments guys. Here's another attempt at fixing gun arm. What does everyone think? I've also updated the shading and sell out outline. I'm using PyxelEdit and using layers so thankfully it's easy to switch out between all the outline types. Third image is the character with an outline outside instead of actually within or incorporating it into the design. Unfortunately I threw my character in-game with the black backgrounds and the outlines make the character look skinnier than it should. Here's how they would look with a black background. My favorite is the sel-out version but it doesn't look good in a primarily black background.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:19:00 am by heyguy »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:23:34 pm
I'd say don't worry too much unless you're planning on using a lot of black backgrounds. The gun is looking WAY better, there's a slight pause at the apex of the forward swimg you might want to tweak but as-is it is perfectly serviceable!

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 06:16:22 pm
Thanks a lot Mystery! I'm glad you think it's looking better!  ;D By "theres a slight pause at the apex of the forward swing", do you mean the gun is in the same spot for more than one frame? Well, I did want every frame of animation unique so I'll fix that. Same thing is happening with the head. Anyway, I think I'm finally getting very close to finishing this run cycle! Thanks so much for everyone's help!

So most of the backgrounds are going to be all black or use a lot of black. Exactly like Shatterhand and Batman: Return of the Joker. It kind of reminds me of a chiaroscuro effect. Here's a WIP of a small lab type environment I've been working on. I would appreciate any critique! I like it but it's a bit simple right now. Had an idea of making the right side a higher level with stairs and different textures. The computer consoles are supposed to look more like they're in the background. I thought about making a new thread with NES level artwork but I figured there's probably no need.

The character will mostly be running through environments like that and this.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:18:44 pm by heyguy »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:55 am
Hey all! Fresh batch of new animations! I'm totally done with the run cycle! That's it I think! I made another version with a different outline, all red if I don't change my black backgrounds. I want to add another frame or two in the charge blast. I need a damage pose also. I also want to do that Sonic thing where the character balances on the edge, I think that would be a fun detail. The gun would still have to be balanced looking forward. Would appreciate any and all critique.

jump
dash(missing the arm in the some frames)
charge blast/vacuum
running holding object above head - WIP
crouch - WIP

edit: here's a quick test of the animations in games. Right now I just have simple poses, no extra animation frames. I need to do a bit of recoding to get the animations to play in-engine.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:45:38 am by heyguy »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 11:27:48 pm
Would appreciate some feedback on the knockback animation. Created the second one because feedback about the first was it was too unrealistic/painful of a pose.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 12:44:08 am
What kind of knockback? Recoil, hitstun, other..?

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 01:56:04 am
I'm imagining  this  is  a powerful knock back effect. So the player is taking a melee hit by a larger creature, a punch or overhead axe attack. Or a large,powerful projectile hits him. I plan on creating another smaller knock back animation  for basic attacks using the first pose in this animation. I'm going for a castlevania type knock back.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:01:19 am by heyguy »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 04:29:08 am
Aight! Try bending him back a bit like he got hit in the face. Alternatively, clutching his gut like he got gutpunched. Castlevania uses a single-frame cringe from what I recall!

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:46:03 pm
Thanks Mystery! The original Castlevanias on NES definitely have one frame. I'm just having some fin and trying to push myself. Even though I'm got NES graphics, I'd like to have nicer animations. I had a bit of the head bobbing back and tried to make it more noticeable. I've also changed the color palette, differentiated the characters top and bottom pieces.

I actually still like my original animation (the one with the extended leg) since it looks more dynamic and action packed, in my opinion. Anyone, I'd appreciate any feedback on this close to final animation. I'm taking waaay longer on this specific animation than I would like. I really need to start working on the shorter distance knock back animation and entirely new animations now. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to create a new thread in the animation sub board? It might get some more feedback. Anyway, thanks for checking out my post!