AuthorTopic: Challenge candidate: Limited gamut  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Challenge candidate: Limited gamut

on: January 16, 2017, 03:24:14 pm
Goes to Challenges and Activities category if accepted.
Make pixel art with limited color gamut. Make use of the tool for picking color from image.
1. Custom 2-dimensional color map

Basically black-blue-red-white corner map, with tweaked ramps so light red is yellow and light blue is cyan, as well as some areas for more colors. The straight line from black to white is roughly grayscale.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Challenge candidate: Limited gamut

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:14:38 pm
Challenges are about challenging artists to work with limited tools or otherwise outside of their comfort zone.
What is the challenge here? There are so many diverse colours available here that an artist could do just about anything without really thinking about it, without the challenge restrictions affecting their decisions in any meaningful way. This isn't a challenge, this is a minor inconvenience - "oh no I can't use the colour sliders."

There's a reason that palette challenges tend to employ tiny palettes. Those really force the artist to think about the colours they're using, to use and mix them in interesting way. If you're providing full ramps of just about every hue, even if the total number of colours is much smaller than the entire RGB space, you're not really limiting anyone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:19:20 pm by eishiya »

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Re: Challenge candidate: Limited gamut

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:35 pm
The original purpose of this map was actually to have many possibilities but in 2 dimensions, useful for a color picker without inputs or sliders. (The Tux Paint color picker doesn't allow grays as I remember) And it's nice to hear that this actually worked for my original purpose!
Maybe shrinking the gamut further will work for this challenge?
My older custom 2-dimensional color-map:

Greens and purples are no longer rich now, but they exist.
Also this is not a palette challenge, this is a gamut challenge: you can use shades of available colors but not certain colors.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:47:56 pm by Piotr »